Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How offended would you be if friends and relatives thought your salary was too low and that you couldn't afford your home?

Not bragging, just for background: I'm in my 40s, am a lawyer in a law firm in a large city, have saved up over a million dollars (plus I own property) and I make about $250,000 a year.  I bought a home for $1,050,000 (putting almost 50% down) and had no problem getting a 15-year mortgage; the bank even offered a larger mortgage than I requested, at a rate below 2.75%.

With those facts, how offended would you be if:1. A friend told you that he didn't think that your salary was high enough.2. Your parents thought that you couldn't afford your new home.

This is not boasting.  By the standards of the city that I live in, I’m lower middle class!

• Dze

my experience has been theyre probably after my money anyway .. thats a given lol .. just the way people are ..

It's pretty rude for people to be discussing your income, but judging from your post, they're probably only discussing it because you make such a big deal about it. 

Ask yourself why they are discussing it in the first place.

I hope that little boasting episode has made you feel better.

• g

On what level is it anyone's business how much you make it how much you paid for your home? They can think or say whatever they want. You need to think that all the way through.

• Jerry

Offended? OFFENDED??!!?!?!!?

i would just prove them wrong

• Ralph

I'm a complete stranger and think your full of it, so there is no telling what your friends and family thinks.