Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How offended would you be if friends and relatives thought your salary was too low and that you couldn't afford your home?

Not bragging, just for background: I'm in my 40s, am a lawyer in a law firm in a large city, have saved up over a million dollars (plus I own property) and I make about $250,000 a year.  I bought a home for $1,050,000 (putting almost 50% down) and had no problem getting a 15-year mortgage; the bank even offered a larger mortgage than I requested, at a rate below 2.75%.

With those facts, how offended would you be if:1. A friend told you that he didn't think that your salary was high enough.2. Your parents thought that you couldn't afford your new home.

Update:

This is not boasting.  By the standards of the city that I live in, I’m lower middle class!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

my experience has been theyre probably after my money anyway .. thats a given lol .. just the way people are ..

• 4 weeks ago

It's pretty rude for people to be discussing your income, but judging from your post, they're probably only discussing it because you make such a big deal about it. 

Ask yourself why they are discussing it in the first place.

• 1 month ago

I hope that little boasting episode has made you feel better.

• g
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

On what level is it anyone's business how much you make it how much you paid for your home? They can think or say whatever they want. You need to think that all the way through.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jerry
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Offended? OFFENDED??!!?!?!!?

• 1 month ago

i would just prove them wrong

• Ralph
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I'm a complete stranger and think your full of it, so there is no telling what your friends and family thinks.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.