Ryan asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Isn't it rude to text multiple times in a row? ?

I was recently hospitalized for depression for about three months. I was released on a one-week leave of absence, whereby I would still participate in groups from my home computer. I mentioned in one of the groups that I was feeling extremely sad and saw no point in living anymore. I left the group early due to extreme sadness, as I was crying and couldn't control myself. 

A friend of mine in the group, who I became close with in hospital, started texting me immediately afterwards. Here is how it went: 

Her (10:02 AM): Are you okay? 

Her (10:03 AM): Come back to the hospital if you have to 

Her (10:05 AM): You didn't come this far just to get this far 

Her (10:06 AM): Hello 

Was it rude of her to text multiple times in a row, especially after getting no reply?

She was worried about you and worried for nothing it seems. Don't threaten suicide and the be surprised that someone cares. I really hope you're ok.

• It is rude. You had already signalled your wish to be left alone by leaving the group. One text in the circumstances might have been gauche, but four actually looks like stalking. I would block her. You don't need this in your life right now. 

So you told the group that you were feeling suicidal. You left early, in visible distress. Why are you surprised when someone from the group, who is also close to you, texts to make sure you're all right and haven't jumped off a bridge?

It was rude (and stupid!) of YOU not to reply immediately, "Thanks, but I'm OK". And then she would have left you alone.

What's "rude" is you for not replying to her texts.  A simple text like "I'm okay.  Thanks for asking" would've stopped all of the texts.

It's only rude if it is not a close family member, parent, or someone who cares about you and that you shouldn't care about where communicating is not common and should text only if it's important. It's more rude for the person to not respond to a text!

• Eva

She was concerned for your welfare especially since you didn't reply, so no it wasn't rude.

• East

It's annoying.  In this situation, she cared about you, so she had a good intent and thus wasn't rude.  But in other contexts, it can be rude to keep calling, emailing or texting.  I do have a "friend" who calls and emails simultaneously instead of calling or emailing, which is totally annoying and what the person did to you is similarly annoying.

no, she was just worried about you

No, she was just concerned because of the comment you made about seeing no point in living. That sounds like the kind of remark someone contemplating taking their own life might make. In my opinion, you were rude not to respond to her texts.

The reason she texted multiple times was BECAUSE she got no reply. It was rude of you not to reply to your friend. And I think you already know it.