Mike asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

How long do you cook a 3 lb london broil to achieve medium rare?

I have a 3 lb top round london broil which is already marinated.  I know it needs to be an internal temperature of 135 degrees F, but would like to know how long should it be in the oven to achieve medium rare? I just want a rough ball park idea of how long so I know approximately when to put it in.  

• kswck2

A good rule of thumb for London Broil in an oven is about 3-4 minutes per pound. BUT, sear it on a hot griddle first. And use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature. Also keep in mind that the edges will be more overdone than the middle, since London Broils are rarely uniform in shape. 

• CB

When ready to cook the steak, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels.

In a skillet over high heat, sear the steak for about 2 minutes. Flip and sear the other side of the steak for about 2 minutes.

Place the skillet in the oven and cook for about 10-12 minutes.

Remove the steak from the oven and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then slice against the grain and serve.