Kendal asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

Can a 12X12X18 Exo Terra Tall Terrarium be used for plants or is it more designed for keeping reptiles, tree frogs, and spiders?

I have an empty 12X12X18 Exo Terra Tall terrarium at my mom’s house. I want to set it up as a terrarium. I’ve kept an arboreal tarantulas in it before but right now I am not sure if I can do just plants in there or if it has to have an animal in it.

Just like with animals, the tank it just a container. As long as you choose a species that works for its size and shape and set it up accordingly you can use it for just plants. 

Since the glass sides restrict airflow and there isn’t a great way to provide drainage, bog or wetland plants would be a good option. There are ways seen on Serpa Design’a YouTube channel on how to provide drainage in such a setup, however. 

Terrarium = an enclosure for keeping plants

vivarium = an enclosure for keeping plants and animals. 

Take away the animals or not adding them, and you've got a terrarium.