Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Marine Core Reserves a few questions?

Hi so I am in the Air Force at the moment and while It has done wonders career-wise I also want to remain in the military but part-time so I have a few questions

will I lose rank if I change branches? 

is MOS 0311 Rifleman available to reserves in the USMC or is it something that you keep that MOS when you change from active to reserve? 

also, is it true Heath insurance (Tricare) is higher in the USMC than in the Air Force?

a lot of questions but hope I can get them all answered

3 Answers

  • Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You pay for Tricare going Reserves.  So yes, it is more expensive. 

    The Marines will drop you down to E2 at least at first.  Getting E3 back will likely happen  sooner rather than as soon as you finish retraining. If your AFSC directly transfers into a Marine CORPS MOS that the unit you wish to drill at has an opening for at the paygrade you currently have, you might get to keep it, or you might drop down one.

    The unit you want to drill at dictates what MOS you get.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Congratulations you get stupid question of the day award. Where in the h*ll do you get the idea that one branch pays for the same health insurance than another? If you actually looked at the charts you would see that it’s based on Rank/Rate not branch.  Now you do pay for it if you are in the Reserves/NG compared to if you are AD. 

    Then it’s the Marine CorPs not Core. Yes you can lose Rank. They can and most likely will make you go to MCRD and then MOS School. What is offered all depends on the unit that you are with. You need to check with them. 

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    you need to ask the people in charge there about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.