Will a Hard-ear ski helmet be a decent substitute for a motorcycle helmet?

A friend of mine has a motorcycle, and to ride on the back of it I would obviously need a helmet. His spare is way too big. Here is a hard ear ski racing helmet.. would this suffice?

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

How much do you value your head ? 

Coming off on snow with that helmet on is a lot different to being thrown off a bike and going headfirst into another vehicle or the ground.

Having ridden a bike for 50 years, and attended a lot of RTAs I've seen many occasions where the helmet has saved a life.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It must be Department Of Transportation (DOT) approved, They test that out.  That isn't.  That could SHATTER AND SPLINTER into pieces.  You don't want that ever to happen.  There are Brand name Helmets and No Brand name helmets sold in the same motorcycle shop.  I got the no name variety because it FIT MY HEAD MORE COMFORTABLY. Cheaper too because it was not a brand name.    Comfort over brand name any day of the week.  If you look carefully on the outside of the helmet, you may see in the lighting, that it is 2 halves glued together.  This is a POS.  Your helmet should be a 1 piece.

A ski helmet may come in contact with SNOW which is soft COMPARED TO ASPHALT.  Speed on ski helmet MIGHT BE 40 MPH.  On bike you know it is going to be over 60MPH.

• adam
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

not legal in any state that requires a helmet. No DOT sticker on it either. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Buy a DOT approved helmet.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. You need a DOT-approved motorcycle helmet.

• Ian K
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Likely better than nothing, but if you take a slide, the road will eat right through the shell of that.  Also, impact protection is much different.

I'd invest in a SNELL certified skid lid if you are going to be out riding.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is a substitute but no, it's not a decent substitute.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's way better than nothing, but motorcycle-legal helmets must be Department of Transportation (DOT) approved.  Sorry. Many states also require face protection.  Use at your own risk. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Where I live it would not be legal. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.