Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

What is the difference between a venomous snake and a poisonous snake? ?

Update:

I don’t have any pet snakes and I am NOT planning to have any. I am just curious.....

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 hours ago

Venom enters the body through injection, whereas poison enters through the body as a gas or liquid that you drink or if you absorb though your skin.  So there are actually no poisonous snakes (possibly debatable).  Technically venom is a type of poison, but really they're just venomous snakes. 

• 3 weeks ago

Venom = if they bite you then you die

Poison = if you bite it then you die 

important to note- not all venom and poison is deadly, this is just a good rule of thumb

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Well a venomous snake has venom. And a poisonous snake has poison. There

• Poison is effective if touched, while venom must be injected into your body.  An example of a poisonous snake is a type of cobra that shoots poison at you, whereas most snakes bite you to release their venom if they are even harmful.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Poisonous has to do with a chemical. 

Snakes and toads and spiders can be venomous.

• 1 month ago

Well first off don’t listen to anything tarkarri says cause they are clueless. All snakes are not venomous. Boas pythons and many colubrids are not venomous at all, there is not mild venom to them either 

Venomous snakes have venom glands 

Anonymous and tarkarri there are species of poisonous snakes google Rhabdophis

• 1 month ago

Something is venomous if it introduces a toxin by breaking the skin (bite, sting etc).

ALL smakes are venomous it is just that some produces very little venom with very low toxicity so their venom is not anything to worry about.

Something is poisonous if it introduces a toxin when you eat, drink  or inhale it. & sometimes i c you rub it on your skin. Unless you choose to eat their venom sacks, no snake is poisonous.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Poisonous animals are those that can secrete poison but have no means of injecting it into another animal. For example, toads have poison glands and these glands can release poison when they are threatened. Toads cannot inject the poison into another animal.

Most snakes are not venomous because only some of them are able to inject venom into other animals using grooved or hollow fangs. The venom is used to disable prey so the snakes are considered venomous. There is no poisonous snake.

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"Poison is a toxin that gets into the body via swallowing, inhaling or absorption through the skin.  Venom is a specialized type of poison that has evolved for a specific purpose. It is actively injected via a bite or sting."

Source(s): www.science.org
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.