Can I get fired because my passport expired?

So I have been living in the UK for a while now, and I have notified my managers about my passport expiring this year, and also that I have made appointments to get it renewed. They told me that I shouldn't worry, because 

1) I am not a new starter who is applying for a job position, therefore I have already proven my right-to-work 

2) I have pre-settled status, which they can check, which also states that I have right-to-work. 

2 Weeks ago, I've been to the embassy and they said my new passport should be ready and delievered in no more than 4 weeks, but today one of the other managers told me to bring an in-date proof of work (despite the fact that I shared the code where they can check my pre-settled status), my passport in monday or "I shouldn't come at all.". Now this seems a bit unfair doesn't it? Can I really get fired for this?

I live and work in the USA and when my passport expired I had to go to Camp 198 and was later processed thrue ICE San Diago before my citizenship was restored. Now I must pay *0% of my income to the feds as well as the state of California.

• Maxi

It is up to YOU to provide the correct paperwork to your employer eg a HO letter which states your 'right to work in the UK' and a legal responsibility of the employer to have on your file a copy of that......it is not the employers responsibility to chase around and check you are telling the truth......... and if you don't provide what they have asked for they are legally correct that they can't employ you........... so it is nothing to do with 'fair' or not, YOU have a legal responsibility to provide them with what they need to remain employed by them

If you cannot prove that you can legally work there, then they can't employ you.  They get in a lot of trouble.  There's no way to know exactly what the situation is, but your lack of better planning seems to have caused problems.