Ian
Ian asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Is anybody else thinking of cancelling Christmas this year?

We've had over 20% inflation since well-before Covid-19, wages are being cut and millions are losing their jobs.  The media have blamed everybody except Santa so far.  Our conservative government has done everything in it's power to ensure this damned virus doesn't go, and the media are doing everything in their considerable power to hide the mess that the government has made of Covid-19!

• Erik

No, because I only buy presents for my mother and father.  It doesn't have to be anything expensive, but to get them nothing would make me look pretty damn cheap.

We did not have "over 20% inflation".  It's under 2%

Price increase and inflation are not the same thing.

Some products I purchase have had an increase (mostly food and cleaning supplies).

Other products have stayed the same.

Clothing has decreased.

The media is not hiding any mess, they create panic.

The flu is 3X more contagious as Covid.

And if you think the media is doing a great job, what's your rationale for the antibody AB8 not being common knowledge at this point?

-- The media certainly wanted everyone to know that one researcher at SDSU claimed that 260,000 people got covid from Sturgis when that would require more than an RO greater than 8.5.

If you want to cancel Christmas go ahead. 

• BBG

Wages are through the roof where I live.  There are help wanted signs everywhere.

Yes, prices go up when labor is in short supply.  I have a small business and have raised my wages about 20% and prices 20% too.

I thought the price increase may be off-putting to customers, but I have way more customers than I need.   I need EMPLOYEES but I cannot get them even with a 20% wage increase.   

I've been in business for 30 years and have seen multiple economic cycles.   This is a really weird one.

To answer your question about cancelling Christmas...Christmas is a federal holiday and I do not anticipate the federal government cancelling it.