San
San asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Noodle countable pasta uncountable?

Why is the noun noodle countable even though pasta and spaghetti are uncountable?

Thanks!

• John P

Let me think abut that for a moment, you have raised an interesting point which had not occurred to me in  60 years of using English as a native speaker in Britain and Australia.

Pasta is a general description, there are many types of pasta including spaghetti, gnocchi, fusilli.

Spaghetti and fusilli and gnocchi etc are Italian words, and the final ' i ' already makes the plural in Italian.

I think you just have to accept that 'noodles' are plural. It is an English word.

If you think carefully about your own language you will probably find similar anomalies.

You can say "I'd like eighteen noodles" but you can't say "I'd like eighteen pasta/spaghetti."  Pasta is a class of food, and spaghetti is a specific dish.

Pasta & spaghetti are Italian words. "spaghetti" is plural in Italian ("spaghetto" is the singular", it means something like "string", so "spaghetti"= strings plural) . "pasta" comes from Latin for dough, or paste.  Saying "pastas" or "spaghettis" would mean different kinds of pasta dishes or varieties. One individual "piece" of pasta is a noodle.