San
Lv 5
San asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Noodle countable pasta uncountable?

Why is the noun noodle countable even though pasta and spaghetti are uncountable?

Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Let me think abut that for a moment, you have raised an interesting point which had not occurred to me in  60 years of using English as a native speaker in Britain and Australia.

Pasta is a general description, there are many types of pasta including spaghetti, gnocchi, fusilli.

Spaghetti and fusilli and gnocchi etc are Italian words, and the final ' i ' already makes the plural in Italian.

I think you just have to accept that 'noodles' are plural. It is an English word.

If you think carefully about your own language you will probably find similar anomalies.

• 1 month ago

You can say "I'd like eighteen noodles" but you can't say "I'd like eighteen pasta/spaghetti."  Pasta is a class of food, and spaghetti is a specific dish.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Pasta & spaghetti are Italian words. "spaghetti" is plural in Italian ("spaghetto" is the singular", it means something like "string", so "spaghetti"= strings plural) . "pasta" comes from Latin for dough, or paste.  Saying "pastas" or "spaghettis" would mean different kinds of pasta dishes or varieties. One individual "piece" of pasta is a noodle.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.