Breaking a lease?

Ok so I pay 1,200 for a 2 bedroom apartment with my husband and kids, our lease ended so we renewed. We are 2 months in on the new lease.  We were recently offered a house for 1,100 month 4 bd by a family member. But he told us we have to move in within the next 2 weeks due to him needing the money. We spoke with our apartment and they say we are required 60 notice and have to continue paying 2 months of rent to break the lease with an addition check for breaking it but that one could be done monthly. The house owner says he can’t wait that long. What can I do? Should I just let this opportunity slip from me. I could possible pay one months rent for the house but I’m not sure. What would you do?  Advice not hate please 

Once you sign the lease you have a legal obligation as it's a binding agreement.

Your current landlord is entirely within his rights to require at least 2 months rent to allow you to break the lease. 

So you figure out if the financial cost of breaking the lease is worth moving to the cheaper property for. I imagine it won't be.

• garry

breaking a lease , isnt that like you signed a contract for a certain amount and now you want to break it and try to force them down .

that sounds fair doesnt it .

Currently I am living in a house, and I am a renter. I have some ideas as to how I want to live my life. I would prefer to buy a livable asset, and live in something that I would own.

I thought about living in an apartment, but I am only able to go on a waiting list, for an apartment, and I had another idea too, and I realized that I would also end up being on a waiting list, and I received a lot of rejections too based on how I want to live my life.

I still have some ideas, and at the moment I am confused. Well I suppose because I still have some options to choose from, and I am not able to make up my mind yet.

Anyway I don't know how feel about renting. I would prefer to own something, and stop having to pay rent.

I believe a lot of thought has to be put in to finding a home, and I don't think this is easy to do. I think you should pass on renting the house, and start putting thought into your future like me.

Nothing you can do. You owe the money, period, end of story.

You might try moving out anyway, and then scraping the money together to pay that 2 months to the landlord somehow.  Or you might try just moving out--and letting the landlord take you to court for the remainder. OR you might move out, and see if you can't find someone to sublet your apartment for the remaining lease. Other than that, you don't have many options. You probably can't afford both places--I'm betting--so that's out. You're bound by the lease you renewed--and that's pretty much that. 

• R P

You are bound by the lease you signed. 

You either pay the early termination fee & move to the cheaper place, or you stay where you are until your lease expires.

If you don't want to lose the house, break the lease. But it WILL cost you. It sounds like your lease gives you an early-out with payment of two months rent (which starts from when you move out, you still owe for up until you move out).  Without such a provision, you can legally be on the hook for rent until the landlord finds a replacement for you, and if that takes four months, you can be sued for four months' lost rent. With such a provision, your financial penalty is limited to the term stated.

What would I do?  I would never pay a penalty of $1,200 per month for two months to rent a place that saves me $100 a month.  Now, if I was offered a deal to BUY a house that was too good to pass up, I would gladly pay the penalty to exit the lease. I will more than make back that $2,400 in the financial security of owning rather than renting.

You're looking at another 3,600 at your current place if I understand you correctly.  Apartments rarely bend rules on their leases.  You'll be saving 100 a month so it would take 3 years to make that up, but that's just the finances.

The real question is if you could find another similar place for that price in the future.  If you can, then there's no reason to jump on this one.  If that's a really good deal and you think you'll be there for several years, then that's pretty enticing.  

It also comes down to what your bank account can afford today.  Is the new place asking for a deposit on top of first and last month's rent?  Did you pay last and deposit at your apartment.  That's potentially 2 months' rent right there.  Find something to bridge you over.

There are a lot of potential options here.  You have to be the one to decide if it's the place you want to be or not.

You can't break a lease for free!