Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Is it normal to not get your drivers liscense until you're almost 18?

I turn 18 in a few months and I'm the only friend in my group that doesn't have thier drivers liscense, hell it seems most of the people in my grade and the grade below has it, along with super nice cars. I'm super embarassed and jealous about it because my parents still drive me to school and my appt isnt until november

Both of my sons didn't drive until they were a junior in college. We required them to pay for their own care insurance and they didn't want to pay it until they had saved up a decent amount of money from their summer jobs.

Embarrassment and jealousy doesn't help you. The goal is to become so strong as a person that you are not too concerned about what other people say, do, or think. A strong person has good character (honesty, integrity, trustworthiness), displays a positive attitude (cheerful, caring, friendly, forgiving, helpful, and respectful), fulfills their responsibilities (for handling people who are pains in a positive way, for always trying to make a good choice, for taking care of themselves, for serving others), gives their best effort, and demonstrates self-control (of their body, anger, mouth and money). 

Hope this helps!

Source(s): True Love Lasts - written with a character emphasis for teens through young adults, Straight Talk About Teen Dating - written with a Christian emphasis for ages 13-19, Straight Talk About Dating - written with a Christian emphasis for ages 20 and up

I know exactly what you’re feeling because I used to feel the same way. I am currently 18 and I just got my license two months ago. I used to feel embarrassed and ashamed too. I wondered what it was like being able to drive to school and have a car just to go places without having to depend on my parents for a ride. But I’ve learned that we are all on different paths in life. I don’t believe that there is a certain age where you must accomplish a certain thing just because it’s considered the “norm”. In my state, even though you can get a license at 16 you must take the road test again once you’ve turned 18. So although my peers had a head start they would still have to retake the test again at 18. It’s okay if you do not have your license or a car yet. You will one day and that is all that matters. “The worst thing you could do to yourself is compare yourself to others”.I love that quote! Yeah it’s difficult to watch everyone drive, especially someone younger than you. But you have to be patient. Patience is the key. You will get there soon so focus on your road test and getting your car and you got this. Good luck on your road test and I wish you the best!

I think I was 19 or 20 when I got my drivers license. Don't follow these weird people's logic and age of being normal. Have your own path

Nothing wrong with that at all, there are lots of people that are 30+ without a license! 

Try to just focus on the fact that you will get it soon :) 

Yes, It is absolutely okay.  Driving today is not exactly the most pleasant experience going in this day of road rage, rudeness and disregard for traffic laws.  I did not drive until age 22, when I could pay the car note, the insurance, the fuel bill and the upkeep of it.

Im many states, you cannot get  it until you are 18.

I know a lot of people who didn't get their license until 18+. A friend of mine is 32 and he just got his last year. I got mine when I was 16 and my parents bought me a car and in hindsight I was way too reckless. Having a little more maturity makes you a safer driver. 

• Helen

I was 23 when I got mine. 

My partner is 33 and chose not to drive. 

It feels like a big deal because you you think you're the only one, but you're not and it isn't. 

I'm 27 and while I can drive a car, it wouldn't be legal for me to do so. 

I mean, I can't say but there is nothing wrong with that because life is not a race and competition.