My wife came out positive yesterday again of covid 19 when she had tested positive two months ago?

My wife and i tested positve to covid 19 two months ago, then after 2 weeks we both tested negative. Yesterday my wife went to take the test again and she came out positive, could it be a dead virus? 

Not dead because the virus isn’t alive but possibly inactive “p arts” of the virus, one explanation and why the CDC is not recommending repeat testing.  No test is 100% either so there are false negatives, more so than false positives for this virus. There are also collection issues, if enough just wasn’t collected. There is also testing error of about 5 %.  Different tests also have different thresholds of detection as does when it is done.

Source(s): Work in a COVID call center
  • I don't think so. I know some one that got a false positive on their first test, they had a second test done and it was positive. 

Testing isn't always accurate, there is some small room for human error. If she gets tested again and it's positive, then she most likely has covid 19.

You should get your self tested again too and both of you should be self isolating. 

• keerok

If it's an antibody test and she already had the virus, it will always come out positive. It doesn't necessarily mean she still has the virus. It only says that she already developed immunity to it.

i would ask your doctor about it

The Covid tests are not 100% reliable so one or more of the tests could be in error. Also there are different kinds of tests including one that only looks to see if you have developed antibodies as a result of having the virus. 

Your body could still be fighting the virus if it's in your lungs