Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Would more or less taxes be taken out if I decrease my hours?

I am currently working nights 30 hours a week, with biweekly pay, and have a little over 7 and a half morning hours of college a week (3 classes). I plan to cut my work hours, to make more time for homework. But I wonder how it will affect the amount of taxes taken out of my check. 

• L

Taxes are deducted by a percentage of your earnings.  Say you earn $500 and want to decrease your work hours to where you only earn $300.  And say your tax percentage is 5%............5% of $500 = $25 and 5% of $300 = $15 so of course the tax amount deducted will equal less.  Each state has their own percentage amount and it makes no difference how many hours you work - the percentage is always the same.

Less money made = less taken out.  

If you get paid less, then less tax is taken.

• Maxi

Tax is based on amount earned so if you will be earning less you will pay less taxes

i would ask a tax place about it

• ?

Taxes come out according to your pay, not your hours.

Social security and medicare tax is always the same percentage.  If you work less, you will have less taken out (but the tax rate will be the same).

As far as income tax goes, your employer takes out what you tell them to on your W-4.    If you work less, they will take out less.  No one here knows what your specific tax situation is.  You didn't tell us your income, if you are married, if you have dependents, etc.  

In the US, employee paid taxes are almost always a percentage of income.

Reduce the income, the percentage decreases.