Why is my engine jerking?

Okay so my car was running fine yesterday morning. When starting it in the afternoon to run an errand it barely started. I stopped to get gas and when starting the car it didn’t start. I had to get a jump. Then looking at the car I noticed a loose connection to the battery. Then when driving the car slowly lost power. I was about to pull over whenever all of the sudden the power started back and car was normal. This happened one more time and the car started jerking when power was lost. Then all of the sudden everything is fine. Now my car won’t start up again! Just clicks. What could the issue be?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 days ago

Could be an inverter issue

• 1 month ago

Have the battery checked. It's probably weak and being poorly charged by the loose and dirty cables  impairing charge from the alternator to the battery. Charge the battery fully. Car part stores will check the alternator and battery for free. 

• 1 month ago

IGNORANCE IS NEVER YOUR FRIEND ANDREW. You have described the most basic malfunction there is that someone should have taught you about when you were learning to drive - battery and alternator problems. 

(1) The battery provides the power required to start the car. The alternator recharges the battery and provides the power needed by the car systems while you're driving. 

(2) The engine turning over slowly when starting, or not turning over but getting a clicking sound means one of several things - (a) the battery cables are loose and need to be tightened. (b) Corrosion on the battery posts and cable clamps is causing a weak flow of electricity. (c) the battery is weak and either needs to be recharged or replaced. Your problem could be a combination.

(3) So, clean the battery cables and posts. Here's how: https://blog.firestonecompleteautocare.com/batteri... 

(4) Next, be sure to tighten the clamps to the battery posts after they are clean and dry. Worn out cable clamps that cannot be tightened due to corrosion or over-tightening must be replaced.

(5) If the engine will not start (still clicking), either get a jump start, or remove the battery and get it tested and recharged. If it won't come up to a full charge, replace it.

(6) If the battery is OK, but the same problem recurs, then get the alternator tested and replace it if necessary. 

(7) If the alternator is faulty and doesn't keep the battery charged, it probably won't provide enough electricity to keep your car running either. Eventually, as the battery gets weaker, the engine will run rough and the car will start jerking / bucking because there isn't enough bettery power left to keep the spark plugs firing smoothly.  

God all that? Good. You now know what to do next time this happens. It's a life survival  skill you need to have when you own a car. You're welcome. 

• 1 month ago

Your alternator could be intermittently going out. Get a multimeter and put it on dc volts and attach the leads to your battery. If the battery says around 12.7 volts it's fine and something else is the problem. but if it's lower than that, say around 11.7 volts, your battery isn't charged right. Charge it up using a battery charger or a jump start from another car and then start it up. Attach the leads of the multimeter again and see if it says around 13.7 volts. If it doesn't then your alternator isn't charging correctly. Run the car and immediately Tap on the alternator with an extension rod or some other metal bar and make sure it's on a strong area of the alternator so you don't crack it. Give it a few snacks with a hammer and check the battery again with a multimeter and if it suddenly jumps up to 13.7 volts or somewhere around that then your alternator is going out and you need to replace it. Tapping on it maybe will get you home if you are close but it needs to be replaced.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.