Adam
Adam asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Do parents in USA normally let their 18-20 year old children drink?

Generally speaking I mean, of course it’s going to be different for every family.

Would it be normal for an 18-20 year old to drink In Front of their parents?

Some do. There always have been and always will be those parents who want to be fun/cool and totally allow their high schoolers to have parties with alcohol. Of the mindset of "oh they're going to drink- better they do it in my house"- which is all well and good until someone is driving drunk, or gets alcohol poisoning and the parent can face criminal charges.

Some parents are also fine with kids having wine or whatever on holidays, so long as they're staying in the house and not really harming anyone...

My kids are still pretty young- my oldest is 12, so I feel like we're a ways off here. Bonus, the older 2 hated wine when they tried it at their first communions, lol. Would I allow wine on Christmas (why on earth is that in colors!!) underage? Maybe. But hell will freeze before I ever allow a yard full of drunk teenagers on my property. 

when they turn 18 and move out of the house, parents have no say in what their kids do anymore unless they are helping their kids with some bills.

• LizB

I think more parents let their older children try alcohol than most will admit, but generally, no, underage drinking is not something that American parenting culture generally tolerates. But what people do publically vs within the privacy of their homes is often not the same.

• John P

I am in Britain. My parents allowed me to drink small amounts of alcohol frim the age of 6 or 7, in the home. 

My children also had small amounts of wine at home as they were growing up.  They all now have university degrees and interesting jobs.

In Britain the age when youngsters can drink alcohol in pubs is 18, and has been for many years, certainly all of my lifetime. So I could not anyway have stopped my children drinking alcohol from the age of 18 upwards.

No.  It's against the law and most parents wouldn't condone or encourage alcohol consumption until the child is 21.  Of course, that doesn't mean underage drinking doesn't happen -- jut not with parental approval.

Not in my house.  On special occasions (such as religious holidays) we will allow maybe a bit of wine, but other than that all my kids had to wait to age 21 to drink alcohol legally.