Marvin
Lv 7
Marvin asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 1 month ago

Can some really be a "foundling" these days?

That is a very interesting form of adoption.  How can a child be just found alive and nobody knows who its parents are?  He or she has no identification at all. I suppose it could happen in very undeveloped parts of Asia and the Middle East.

Just imagine you are going about your business, and stumble upon a toddler that nobody claims, and nobody has any idea who its parents are.

Update:

My son and I were watching the Mandalorian and that is what made me think of the question. In the sci-fi series the fictional Mandalorians seldom procreate. They adopt foundling. That is honorable.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • kitta
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

It still happens, and it happens in "modern" countries like the US. As others have mentioned, "Safe Haven" laws exist in the US where very young babies and sometimes toddlers can be surrendered. It is possible, at least in some states for the parents to provide information (medical, for example) to help the child. And some states allow a "reclamation period."

These laws exist because some mothers come from situations where their families still believe in violence against "unwed mothers" and would actually do harm to mother and child for being pregnant/giving birth to an out of wedlock child.

Another reason for safe havens is because the child is directly threatened by someone  and can only be kept safe by being hidden.

Children who are "orphaned" because of war, auto or plane crash, diseases,disasters usually can be placed with family members or friends. They are not really unknown, they have relatives and can be reunited with them.

Source(s): work in public policy, family law
  • 4 weeks ago

It is not at all uncommon.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Quite likely, in many parts of the world, even today. Parts of the world are beset by war, so a young baby could easily be left without parents.

That certainly happened in Britain as recently as 200 years ago, possibly even more recently.  The classic scenario is the lower-class girl who gets pregnant after an affair, in a society in which pregnancy outside marriage is a definite social no-no. She gives birth and dumps the baby outside a house or hospital in the hope that somebody will find it and give it a home.

In that huge explosion in the middle of Beirut a few weeks ago (possibly biggest non-nuclear explosion ever), over 200 people died and many apartments and houses were destroyed. It is quite likely that a few babies and young children were found in that area with no living relatives around.

• 1 month ago

All 50 U.S. states have Safe Haven laws that allow mothers to drop their child off at a fire or police station  or hospital within 72-hours of birth with no questions asked and no fear of being charged with abandonment.  

https://family.findlaw.com/adoption/safe-haven-law...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jill
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes. That still happens even in Western society. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It still happens.  Sometimes trafficked children are abandonned enroute.  A friend of mine, who is retired now, was a children's home manager for the local government.  Mostly they housed children too damaged to be fostered but toward the end of her career abandonned trafficked children became more common and they really struggled to know how best to place them since they had no idea what the kids had been through.  By children I don't mean 35 year olds pretending to 15.  These were toddlers and young elementary school aged children.  It really doesn't bear thinking about.

Newborns are still sometimes abandonned too for all the reasons they were in the past. In that case I truly hope it was the mother's decision, such as it was, and not something forced on her.  I live in a country where social workers highly discourage giving babies up for adoption and anonymous adoption is illegal.  The bio-mother (and father if it can be proven) is recorded and available to the child after they reach a certain age.  I can fully understand why someone would want to create to clean break.  The only way to do that is to abandon the baby and avoid all contact with authorities that might result in DNA being recorded.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.