Should the government rush in an ID card scheme to help control COVID?

It would make it easy to sanction non mask wearers who are obviously to blame for us being on the brink of lockdown again.

Out of work bouncers from pubs/clubs would be drafted in as 'muscle' to check Ids, as in countries like Spain, they would be allowed to carry truncheons.

reopening pubs, and even more so foreign holidays - was utterly stupid, and probably because their bosses are mates of the tories.

Given the government's incompetent handling of track, trace and isolate I would think that they would most likely put Failing Grayling in charge and he would forget to put photographs on them.

• Who

Iike the "rush in" bit

both the US and UK government have both been very slow in doing anything

(p.s there is absolutely NO law about wearing a mask AT ALL ANYWHERE in the UK

the ONLY thing required is a "face covering" that covers nose and mouth

COULD be a piece of tissue paper if you like, cos there is NO law says it has to be effective

(Ps- the NHS dumped 250 MILLION masks about 4 weeks ago

your update 1- how do you check an id if somebody just copies somebody elses?

Your update 2- that was government doing- nothing to do with non-mask wearers

How would that ever work when people say they have no money or means to get a voter ID.

If they can hand out COVID-19 IDs to everyone and then have a workable agency to follow them then they could do the same and hand out legal Voter ID cards.

There seems to be a problem where some people want to or would like to remove more and more of our freedoms . I wear my mask in the shops  banks and other inclosed public areas etc . I will not wear it walking in the high street , and why are some people wearing them while driving alone in their cars , masks are also starting to become a fashion item and that is a very bad path to follow , last week I was having lunch in a pub at the coast and it was arranged in a very safe way . If people are that afraid then they should stay at home but let other people get on with things as safely and best as possible because otherwise we will see total financial meltdown not to mention the other health issues caused by lockdown . And as for ID cards , why do we need them , most people have some type of ID on them .

How many more civil liberties do you want to take away from the people of the UK?. It's time people grew a pair and got on with their lives instead of hiding from a virus that is no different to flu.

British people wouldn't apply for these ID Badges, it's bad enough being told to wear face masks in shops and on Public Transport.  The people that are spreading the virus are the ignorant morons in every generation that seem to have forgotten that Covid exists and insist on standing (mask less) right next to others, in public area's.

Opening up our borders for holiday makers was a stupid mistake, as it was holiday makers that bought it and spread it to us, in the first cases in February and March.  Holidays are a luxury and not an essential.

No, more extremism from the left eh?

They virtually have that already with people's smart phones.

Interesting proposal, I'm not one for the erosion of civil liberties at a whim but how would this work?  So I have an ID card, some "out of work bouncer" asks me for ID when I'm on the street without a mask on, I produce the ID card, then I get a fine I imagine right? 

But if I don't produce my ID card then what?

How would you force the antisocial, and often violent thugs, anti-maskers to show their ID card?