Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Getting married to prevent getting deported?

My best friend is 19, her boyfriend is 23 and is getting deported soon. They want to get married so they can stay together, and they’ve known each other for about 3 months. Should my best friend go through with the marriage? 

They are asking me to be a witness and I’m not sure, they will both kinda hate me if I say no, but I also don’t exactly feel comfortable saying yes when I know it’s not the greatest situation. Help...

We are in Canada

If I were you I’d say no, because as a good friend you don’t want to see her ruin her life because she’s had 3 months of fun. 

Tell her in another 9+ months you’ll be glad to do it 

just say no...................

She should not marry him.  Marriage is not an institution for citizenship.  There should be more of an incentive for this marriage than preserving his citizenship.  I knew a girl who married this guy because she truly believed he loved her and it would work.  Three months after the wedding, she found herself pregnant, her mom died and this guy left her, taking his green card with him..  She raised the baby alone. 

I would not lie for anyone...they have not been together long enough. Is he paying her to get married?

Three months is totally inadequate. They might be madly in love, even, but it takes much longer to get to know someone enough to marry them! I doubt very much that they will be allowed to marry -  as someone else stated, immigration in most western countries are very suspicious about such tricks. 

It can be quite easy for a man to manipulate a younger girl into thinking that they are in love. If he is genuine he will go back to his country and apply from there and wait. But I expect that he would dump her and try another girl if she refuses. 

Your friend will be more likely to "hate" you if you support this folly. She might be angry and disappointed,. but one day she'll see through him and thank you. Show her these replies.

Good Luck

Should my best friend go through with the marriage? - only if she can say she would marry him after three months without the deportation risk.

Your friend is running some risks here. Is this guy using her to stay in the country? Will they be investigated by immigration? There are some serious penalties for both sides of immigration think it's a fraudulent marriage. Is she in s position to sponsor him? She would need to be working and earning more than x amount, as well as being able to provide him somewhere to live. 

Well understood about the relation

Immigration are not stupid enough to let people stay somewhere just because they got married otherwise there would be a huge business where people pay other people to marry them just to stay in whatever country. It would take years of testing such as one of them going to live in the poorer country for a number of years first.

• CiCi

That's illegal and they will find out