Anonymous

Can a college -degree buy gas food or guarantee a job or income ? yes . no?

No but it is up to you, to not give up

No But a Plumber will never be out of work

no....................................

• Lili

It can help you find a job that will buy those things, yes.  You are much more likely to obtain decent, well-paid employment with a degree than without one.

If you don't want a degree, go for post-secondary vocational training in a trade.  But even that's a form of higher education.  A high school diploma alone may NOT land you the sort of job that will pay for the things you need.

Can a high school degree alone do any of those things? No, it can't. But you're more likely to be unemployed right now with just a high school degree. The current unemployment rate for college graduates is 5.3%. For high school only grads the current unemployment rate is 9.8%. For people without a high school degree, the unemployment rate is 12.6%. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t04.htm

• fcas80

It's all what you put into your degree.  No guarantee.

I walked out of my university (Penn State) with a B.A. in History in 1984.  Counting the ride on the subway, I was on the clock, working for AT&T Federal Systems within FIVE HOURS of my interview @ 20 per hour which was good money during a job pinch in 1984.  You tell me.  (The History included archival management and some elective courses in database management and computer programming). 

• April

No. It depends on the labor market and how you apply your skills. I've actually known some people with associate's degrees or no degrees who made out quite well in life.

A two year degree in nursing is going to be a lot more lucrative than a bachelor's degree in say, music.