Genealogy/Genetics Question?

I did a DNA Ancestry test. It came back that I don't have any Middle Eastern in me, but both of my great grandparents were born in Syria. Is this possible or do I need to have a little sit down with my dad?

• L

DNA does NOT lie.  I truly think that when you submit, a DNA test, with your full name................the results tend to sway towards where 'that' last name comes from.  If they could do, a DNA test, without your last name...............then who knows what the results would show.

DNA is accurate but you have to read it with some background knowledge about how DNA works. It is entirely possible to have that DNA and that your ancestors are truly your ancestors.  But it is also possible you might have to sit down with your parents.  There's infidelity, adoption or even being switched at hospital by a nurse.  Remember these 4 things......

1. Everybody on Earth comes from somewhere else, people say this about the US but it's true for every country...Italy, Poland, Germany, etc. People have been moving for thousands of years.

A person who is from Poland and is 100% Polish is not 100% Polish. The average 100% Polish person from Poland is only 63% pure Polish, Poles have Lithuanian, Russian, Asian, Italian and other ancestries mixed in. A Polish friend of mine from Eastern Poland with Polish parents came up only 20% Polish on a DNA test, with the rest being Lithuanian, Ukrainian and Russian.

2. We inherit 50% of our DNA from our father and the other 50% from our mother. But we do NOT inherit 25% from each grandparent. So let's say your mother passed along more DNA from her dad to you than she did from her mom. You might get 35% from your maternal grandfather and only 15% from your maternal grandmother. That means that it is possible for a person to be 30% Irish but their full sibling could only be 10% Irish. 

3. DNA companies always have a margin of error. So I wouldn't take anything that comes up less than 5% that seriously. It could be 10% or 0%.

4. People lie and don't disclose ethnicities that they don't like. A Polish person from Poland who has one German grandparent would probably not disclose that information to their descendants. There's people who deny their Jewish ancestry. There's also a lot of infidelity where people on your family tree are not your actual ancestors because someone cheated.

So my advice to you is to view your ethnicity in two ways....you genetic ethnicity which are the genes you actually inherited that show up on these tests and your genealogical ethnicity which is based on your family tree.

My own take, your ethnicity is the language you speak, the food that you eat and the culture that you follow. If you were to travel to China or Germany, people would judge you by those things. Therefore, if you are in the US, you don't speak any other languages, you don't participate in activities from other cultures then your ethnicity is AMERICAN.

If you go to England and say that you are 25% English, 30% Scottish, 20% Italian, 10% Polish, they will laugh in your face. In many countries they would find this offensive for you to claim to be one of them when you were born in the US. Because to them you are an American.

I traveled with my "Italian" friend to Naples of few years ago. He kept telling everyone he was Italian but he didn't speak the language or know the culture. The Italians told him, you are American not Italian. So then he started saying that he was American but his grandparents were from Italy.

Remember, everyone in every country in the world is from somewhere else. So if you say you're ethnicity is "American" and someone doesn't like your answer claiming there's no such thing, that everyone comes from somewhere else. You can tell them that's true for every single country on Earth.

These DNA tests mess with people's minds.  Don't take them too seriously.

Place of birth has nothing to do with Genetics.  Syria is a country and any one born there is a Syrian National, but not genetically Syrian.

• John P

It is possible that your grandparents were European or something more exotic, and were in Syria running a business or similar.

My mother-in-law was born in India, and so were her siblings, but her parents were distinctly British, her father was in India as a businessman. She ended up living in Tasmania, where her father had gone to live later on.

• Zirp

There are no genetics for "middle eastern" or any other place of residence.

If in doubt about who your biological parents are, you need a DNA-lab to compare your DNA to that of the suspected parent(s) - NOT a so-called ancestry-test

Yes, it is possible.  Simply being born in Syria does not mean that the person's parents were from the middle east.

Yes, that's possible if for example your great grandparents were born to diplomats or immigrants from other countries.

• Maxi

Just shows you these DNA tests are simply sold to entertain........ maybe you should research your ancestry correctly and stop beleiving in an entertainment test........ or get it done again which will give you another different set of entertainment results

Syria is made up of approximately 45 different ethnic groups, several of which are not middle-eastern in origin, including Albanians, Greeks, Circassians, Chechens, Ossetians, Keralans (India), Domaris (India), and Doms (Gypsies). So, yes, it's absolutely possible that you don't have middle-eastern blood in your ancestry. Nonetheless, why wouldn't you discuss it with your dad? 

.

(what about your other six great grand-parents?)

Both of my great grand parents were born in Syria?   Seriously?   You have EIGHT great grand parents.   Just because someone lived in an area does not mean they originally came from that area.    They may have been born in Syria but maybe their parents were  Christian missionaries from England.