Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

A solicitor tried my door handle after I didn't answer the door. Am I overreacting or is this really inappropriate?

My doorbell rang, I looked through the peephole and saw it appeared to be a solicitor of some type and I didn't recognize him, so I didn't answer. I was still nearby when I heard the doorknob jiggling. Thankfully, I always keep my door locked, but it weirded me out. I opened the door after he left to find a card trying to sell something with his name and number on it. I am thinking about calling the company. I don't want to overreact, but I just think it's highly inappropriate to try to open someone's door to their house like that. I mean, what if the door would've been unlocked? It would've been even more inappropriate for him to come in or look around!

Am I overreacting or is this really weird for a stranger of any kind?

By the way, this was not the screen door, this was the actual door to the inside of the house.

At first, I thought he was maybe trying to hang something on the door, but his card was in between the two doors on the ground, and was leaned up like it was placed on the ground on purpose rather than falling from the doors.

By solicitor, I mean someone going from door to door, usually trying to sell something. 

I'm not weirded out about the fact that he left a card, but the fact that he tried my door handle as if he was going to open the door if it was unlocked, and wasn't just hanging something on the door handle. 

• John P

Ah, it took me a moment to understand what you meant by 'solicitor'.  In Britain solicitors are people you see with legal matters, like buying a house or writing a will or a local dispute. I think they are called 'lawyers' in the USA.

Yes, in a suburb of a big town in Britain I get door-to-door salesmen and charity workers calling from time to time.  If I am in the mood for a chat I might do so, otherwise I ignore them. You are under no obligation to answer the door if you do not want to do so.

You are overthinking the thing about the card.  He left a card - end of story. That sort of person often does leave a card.

• East

Kind of creepy, but maybe the person just wasn't thinking and by instinct grabbed the door handle.  I don't think that I'd call the company.

I live in a very low crime area. I keep my door and storm door locked at all times. I use to opened the door to sale-man. But more than once I have had the guy grab my storm door handle and try to open it on me.  Thank goodness it was locked. I don’t open doors to salesman, Girl Scouts or HS kids selling magazines.  

Are you sure they were trying the handle? Not making noise  while trying to wedge in their card?   Realize you need to find the phone number to who he works for, not the number on card for him.  

Keep you storm/screen door locked too.

I have no idea what you mean; in Commonwealth countries,  "solicitor" means "attorney"! 

• denise

That's inappropriate, your not over reacting at all!

I had a member of my religious sect come to my house.  I opened the door, said I wasn't interested, she turned the doorknob on the screen and opened the door.

My GSD came pretty much from nowhere at a dead run, slammed the screen door fully open and pinned her against the outside wall of my house.  My dog never touched her.

I never had that problem again.

maybe you should tell the police about it

How do you know that he was a solicitor?

You did just fine!!  Do not open the door to a stranger!  Sorry that times are so harsh.

Anyone trying your door handle is not to be trusted. End with a pistol shot.

I don't think you are overreacting at all. It's possible that the guy has stolen from people that left their doors unlocked. You should call the company and alert them to this man's actions, in my opinion.