Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Why do women expect engagement rings to be 5 grand or more? ?

So anything less than that "isn't a real ring"? What exactly causes them to think so materialistically? 

(I do apologize for the generalization, I just happen to see posts of women getting angry their parter got them something that cost 1500 instead of 5,000 or more)

**partner

Apologies again for the typo lol

οικος - That's a rule made by jewelers just so they can take your money. No one really follows it unless they want everyone to know they're wealthy lol

It very much depends on the circumstances of your life. If you're a successful attorney, and you give your intended a $1000.00 ring, she will probably be put off. If you're two college kids, the same ring would be more than appropriate. 

It's actually good that some women demand that. This way the guys they're dating know to not go through with marrying them. In terms of the women's motivations, that's a combination of our narcissistic social media society and some good marketing by the diamond industry. 

My husband had a buddy whose engagement broke up, and the buddy handed over the ring and told him to pay him when he could. Second-hand ring, and not expensive  - and a constant reminder that even though the marriage wasn't a fairy-tale one, there was a time when my spouse *couldn't wait* to propose. 

bro, i don't care, i just want a ring...

those girls are materialistic, self absorbed, want to show off to their friends or make them look better than their friends.

.... do they?

Some do; most don't. 

Walmart is a nice place to get a ring. Any woman that wants this, is a woman to run away from.

• An engagement ring should cost around two months' salary.  Buy something within that framework.  

• drip

Yeah, I know of no women who thinks like that. None that I grew up with or know now

You see a few posts and now most women demand  $5000+ rings. No. 

The rule of thumb is one month's salary, isn't it? Or is it two?

• Kerri

Sounds like you're reading posts of some very materialistic females.  Married women I know were thrilled to get married and were not concerned about the cost of the engagement ring.  Every girl wants something she is proud to show off ... but that starts with the man himself.