Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If someone walks in on me using a single user bathroom, is it their fault for invading and not knocking or my fault for not locking the door?

The other day I was using a single toilet bathroom and forgot to lock the door which I didn't realize until later when this other random person walked in while I was in there. Anyway as soon as the door opened I shouted "woah, occupied" while pushing the door back closed and he literally wasn't at all apologetic and said "lock the freaking door!" i feel like it wouldn't have costed him a thing to say sorry for intruding on me occupying that bathroom even if it was a mistake on his part!

In a scenario like this... is it his fault for not knocking on the door first causing him to intrude on my privacy OR is it my fault for not locking the door?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • HMFan
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

How is the person on the outside supposed to know if the facility is occupied or not UNLESS the door is locked? He probably should have said “Sorry!” but I think the fault lies with you.

• John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your fault for not locking the door. Nobody really thinks about it when they enter a toilet cubicle, they just go in if the door yields to their touch. On some cubicle doors the indicator 'Vacant/Engaged' does not fall readily under the eye.

Yes, it would have been polite of him to have apologised, but that is a different matter. Lack of apology does not shift the fault. 

• East
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

His fault.  It's a good idea to knock before opening any door, particularly a bathroom.  

• 1 month ago

Yes, he could have been politer about it, but the initial, basic fault was YOURS.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

he mightve thought noone was in there cause it was unlocked

• 1 month ago

Your fault for not locking the door.

• 1 month ago

Yours - you'll remember to lock the door next time won't you?

• 1 month ago

If you locked it and he somehow manually unlocked it from the outside, then he'd be to blame. Although you clearly failed to lock the door on your way in so it's 100% your fault. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you forgot to use the lock then it's your fault. 

• Mark
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you "forget to lock the door", it's YOUR fault.  (That's sort of like saying "I forgot to have children" or "I forgot to eat".)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.