Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Can I use 0w-40 full synthetic oil in small engines?

I have a lot of extra 0w-40 full synthetic oil that I need to get rid of. Would this be safe to use in a lawnmower, generator, walk behind leaf blower, power washer, etc? I think all these machines are designed for SAE30, but I’ve read some people also use the 40 weight oil. 

• Barry

Yes you can. It's vastly superior to straight SAE 30. I use fully synthetic 5w-40 in my Briggs and Stratton powered mower. It's 30 years old and runs sweetly. I do change the oil annually though.

A case of oil costs less then replacing all your small engine equipment. Only use what's recommended!

• CB

Yes you can and should, change it frequently at first if you have been using non-detergent for awhile as that allows for sludge to build up -the sludge and dirt will quickly be suspended with synthetic detergent oils so good idea to change early then go to regular oil change intervals. 

Small engines aren't really limited to 30 wt - 0-40 will be fine. 

• Scott

You should use whatever the engine manufacturer recommends.