Is being a computer tech better than being a car mechanic?

I'm 23, when I was in high school I wanted to become a car mechanic. I was doing a lot of research on how cars work and whatnot, and I took co-op as a mechanic's assistant. At first I was like ok, I'm going to learn how to fix cars. A week or two into my co-op, or internship whatever you want to call it, I hated it. Cars are just so complicated. All cars are different from each other, and I just felt discouraged. What makes me really avoid mechanics is that you are playing with someone's life if you don't know what you are doing. And, for me to understand how every car part, engine component works and how to replace or fix it, I don't know if I want to go through all that work. Knowing the different tire sizes, engine sizes. One of my other fears is that if I'm working underneath a car that is on a hoist, and it falls on me because I didn't set it up properly. You are also vulnerable to cuts and bruises with heavy car parts/

Now, I love technology, I'm trying to get exposed to what coding is like so I can make a better informed decision because the most I've done is read about what coding is like. If someone says coding is hard, it could be hard for them but easy for you. Now, I know that learning does take time, and that you have to be dedicated to your goal. I know that learning coding won't happen overnight, but right now, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to learn coding. I do love cars, but I just don't know if its worth it in today's market.

My cousins are also car mechanics. The one I took co-op with, told me that I should have become a mechanic from the time I graduated high school, because its good money, I would be making a lot of money by now. The other one says that its not worth it today, the market is bad, he's the shop manager so he's making a lot of money, but he told me the pay isn't that good, you're working long hours, is physically and mentally demanding, you get cuts, bruises, etc. He said I should stick to tech.

Neither is better nor worse when compared to the other.There is a growing demand for both globally  hence a deliberate effort and  passionate appeal goes out to talented individuals like you to make informed choices at career choice stage.

I can cruise the town in my Hot rod car.  Can't pick up REAL chicks driving a computer.  Learn on older cars because the car has not changed since its invention.  Older means 50's to 70's before computerization...the ones with carburetors.  They are the ones you can modify and HOT ROD to your imagination. Just look at the plastic models of cars made by legends.  Freaky machines.  Or if you have watched FURY ROAD there are some crazy machines there.

. It is an Art form. Guys are into cars.& bikes.

Just watched a friend go to a tech college the last two years for a Web Development AA. His coding courses were C#, Java, and Javascript.

• P

The problem is a "computer tech" is a pretty low paid job, actually much lower than a mechanic.  The higher paid tech jobs are extremely complicated and require a lot of training and usually college.  

Well one advantage your tools weighs a lot less. Than mechanics tools so you have much more portability in terms of where you can relocate. To and still make a living. And thanks to the pandemic of 2020 computer and network technician and programmers are going to be in the great deal more demand. Of course we will always need auto mechanics cars aren't going away anytime soon they may be used a little bit less though.

The latter uses different variants of the former....

I have rebuilt car engines, changed oil, adjusted valves, and done simple repairs.  I have repaired computers, took and taught college computer classes, was electronics manufacturing engineer.  That was quite a while ago.

Car mechanics now use just as much computer tech as computer technicians have to deal with.  The only difference is parts are bigger, oil and grease.  And the errors are more expensive if you spoil something.  Also in both jobs, there is time pressure constantly.

Hard to determine which is best for you--we don't know you.  But there is one thing to definitely tell:  The money should be secondary to being happy with what you do.  Then it will not be so much like going to work.

I always took jobs that were interesting and had flexibility, variety.  I was not bored since there was something to look forward to all the time.  I made enough money, but less than if I had done the same old stuff every day.

• garry

car mechanic , to hard to get into computer repairs , all the so called graduates are repairing computers now , some over supply of graduates , try to get a mechanic or a mobile mechanic , almost impossible .

It’s a lot cleaner and warmer

When was the last time you saw a motor mechanic clean?

You hate cars because of the complexity, yet you say you want to be involved in technology, which is infinitely more complicated. Coding is a small part of computing and in what language or technology? Years ago, one language skill could carry a person for decades, but no more. And with computers, you become responsible for knowing what new technology is evolving, whereas with cars, new technologies are announced, complete with training courses and manuals. You also face risk in computers, as whatever skill you master may become obsolete. For example, a coder who is a master at HTML4 needed to do serious study to learn HTML5, and then CSS came along - and then responsive design emerged. And then many tools were developed to eliminate much of that knowledge. I suggest spending a year with your choice to see if whatever you picked gives you a good feeling at the end of the day. If it feels like 'work', it was the wrong choice. Good luck.