Why does my table fan seem to cool better after it gets cleaned?

Hi fellow forum users. I finally got around to cleaning off the thick layer of household dust from my table fan's blades. Was just procrastinating I guess. It's such a boring task. Why on earth does the table fan seem to cool better now?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

less weight  dust and dirt gone,, less friction,,motor works more efficiently

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Fans do NOT cool air. In fact, they actually warm it up a little bit. Feel the motor after it has been running.

• 1 month ago

This is just one of those things that are what they are; best left unexplained.

• 1 month ago

Because the flecks of dirt and dust are not getting in the way of the wind patterns and pushing it in the wrong direction. The air is now hitting a smooth fan blade. Simple physics

When you clean a dryer's lint filter, the clothes dry quicker too.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Fans do not cool air. They just move it. If the blades are clean then they may more more air. 

• 1 month ago

If very heavy, the layer of dust will increase the weight of the blades, and also increase the air-friction on the blades, which will slow the fan speed considerably.  It might be moving twice as much air when clean as it does when it gets dirty.

• 1 month ago

The blades are aerodynamicly designed. Without the dust they perform better at moving air.

• 1 month ago

Maybe the dust was so thick the fan wouldn't spin at the right speed. Maybe it's all in your head

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.