How to deal with this neighbor?

We got central cooling to help us for the winter. A very expensive system but we saved up for years. So basically it’s a little big and it’s on our side of the house. It protrudes 10 inches. So she comes up to my mom saying that water is dripping from it and how it’s leaking her basement meanwhile her basement is like 8ft + from the cooling system. She said she’s scared that during the winter water will leak and she’ll fall but water doesn’t leak when you’re using heating. So we call the guys to run a pipe so water doesn’t leak just in case. She completely goes off on the workers, calling them jackasses and fools saying they can’t do that to her driveway and stuff and she has grandkids and they need to play. It’s on our house not her property. It’s above 6 ft on the wall of our house. I admit it is pretty big. Also our survey says that we have an extra 8 inches in our property the gate from our property is weird and jagged. Which is 8 inches from her driveway which is technically our property. We don’t know what to do.

Update:

Also she had a family member pretend to be a fake surveyor to tell us that he built that jagged fence and that he understands that we have 8 extra inches (which isn’t much and we don’t mind her having it) but how we’re wrong to put it on the wall. We are not constructors- we assume the constructors are experienced and they know what they’re doing so we’re backing them up. She’s giving us such a hard time :(

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Go to your local river and catch several carp or suckers. Place them into her rain gutter above each side of doors & windows. Wait for the flies & smell. Enjoy!

• 1 month ago

This is one of those situation where you must ignore what you can't change. You have every right to install your heating system on YOUR property no matter how big it is and how much water is dripping (which is not extensive or incorrect). You had that issue fixed anyway. Anything else is unreasonable and constitutes harassment. So tell her in no uncertain terms that the discussion is closed and to keep away from your property, her and her relatives. There is nothing wrong or illegal with your system, and you are on your own property. If she persists, call the police and report her. Let her know you intend to do this. 

Just be careful. She sounds like a vindictive type--I'd build a fence around the compressor to keep her from being able to vandalize it. 

And BTW: she has to be a moron for thinking that basement 8 feet from your dripping condenser is "leaking" because of that dripping. It's a physical impossibility. The drip isn't much--and evaporates before it ever gets to her basement, as you or any competent installer knows. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

ignore  her.........................

• 1 month ago

If she continues to harass you or the family, get a court order to have her to cease and desist.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ignore her...tell her to sue you for damages, and let your insurance company deal with her.

• 1 month ago

if water is leaking into her basement, the issue is that the ground around her house isn't properly graded [it needs to slope away from the house] ... suppose God blesses you one day with some serious rain?  is her basement going to flood?  These complainers will always find something to gripe about ... I suggest gently telling her the problem is hers to fix -- it's her landscaping that has the problem, not your a/c unit

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Tell her to kiss your ***. If its on your property screw her an with her attitude.  personally I'd poor extra water out of it just to screw with her.

• 1 month ago

William has the right idea.  Get the city to inspect AND certify that all is good.  Run the drain pipe away from her house (if there is a rise, and water runs DOWN toward her, you may want to put in a drain that runs the water away from her.  LIke my neighbor has done, see pic below.  A note about how to do this. These things have round ends, and you can buy rectangle ends to shove onto the gutter. BUT don't use tape (as one poster suggested) or secure it permanently. As you can see, my neighbor has not. This is so you can pull it off while you mow or trim the lawn.  Easy to take off and put back and they stay put. 

Attachment image
  • Sandy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

the people rehabbing the house next to me put the gutter spout so it sent the water onto my property. I asked them to change it and they did. if your system drips from one specific spot, attach one of those gutter extensions to it (with Flexseal tape) so the water is not directed on or near her property.

• 1 month ago

Call someone from the city to come out and inspect the issue.  Let them deal with it.  Its their job.

Once they tell her it's good she can't complain anymore.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.