Erik asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Do you guys mind working with ppl who has accent?

Hi guys, I do speak and write fluent english, but because I wasn't born here( I moved to the states when I was like 18 yrs old and now 30) so when I speak english I have accent, and according to some of my friends the accent is moderate to heavy, but they can totally understands me. So my accent is complicated lol, I was born in china so of course I got that chinese accent(but def not that typical southern chinese accent u hear at the restaurants. lol) and then since in china they only teaches british english so my english has some british accent here and there, and also a bit of southern(Louisiana Mississippi) accent resulted from dating someone from there for 4 yrs, and of course general american accent.   I can force myself to speak strictly american accent but it just hurts me to do so and it sounds unnatural, like I tend to use british accent when I have to say a sentence with tons of r's in it or when i'm tired and don't want to curl my tongue lol. 

Would you say most Gen X Y Z are used to hearing people talk with accent? Should I feel bad about it? 

• John P

Your accent, however it sounds, would not worry me.

What does worry me is your lack of capitals for names (British, English, China, American) and your general rather 'breathless' style of writing. Note that I make the same remark about the writing style of most youngsters.

When addressing a world-wide readership of many sorts of people of all ages, be a little formal in style. Some of us oldies might not understand all the modern, ever-changing expressions.

Do I mind working with people who haVE AN accent?  Hah!  I grew up with people who had an accent, and still have one.  I wouldn't say most gen X Y Z  in the US are used to hearing accents.  

A strong accent doesn't bother me as long as I can understand the words they're saying.  What I find far more bothersome is repeated grammatical mistakes.  Your post contains several, such as:  "ppl who has accent".  It's "people who HAVE AN accent".  Or "they can totally understands me". It's "they can totally UNDERSTAND me" (not "understandS").  I find it curious that you use the 3rd person conjugation for everything, when it's actually the rarest.  Usually I can still understand what the person is trying to say, but English verbs can get quite complex, and there are three versions of the present tense alone, so mixing them up can sound daunting, because I have to edit what they're saying as they say it, which is distracting.   And using verbs incorrectly can, at times, completely change the meaning of something.

So no I don't mind an accent. It's poor grammar that annoys me.  And you've been living in an English-speaking country for 12 YEARS but still don't know basic verb conjugation???

• Zirp

EVERYBODY has at least one accent per language that they speak

Not at all. Sometimes I get annoyed, but that's my failure. I get annoyed with everyone. But it's MY failure, and learning patience is a lifetime exercise in character development. 

Not at all, most people in the US like it when someone takes the time to learn English.