Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Why do so many US troops use tobacco products?

How come a lot if not all soldiers either smoke or spit tobacco?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The use of tobacco products such as smoking or chewing (NOT SPITTING -- that's just the end product) or taking snuff has declined enormously in the US military since the 1980's. Now it is rare to even see a smoking area on a military installation. In the old days, basically the whole installation was a smoking area. Bar a few dangerious or culturally sensative areas.

• 1 month ago

I only would smoke during deployments- it helped relieve some stress 

• 1 month ago

Probably because many enlisted men come from a less privileged social background where smoking is still acceptable. I doubt you will find many smokers at West Point. It's the same explanation for why admirals do not have sailor tattoos. 

• 1 month ago

Because they are duty free?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Because they are more scared of bombs and bullets and their limbs getting blown off.

lung cancer seems insignificant and a distant prospect when you’re 18

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Daniel has the most accurate answer, having served over 20 years in the USAF. To put a sharper point on the question, the use of such products has  declined

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Most of the people that use tobacco in the military are blue collar workers from blue collar backgrounds that probably started in high school.  

Tobacco users, especially smokers, are disproportionately enlisted.  When you break that down further, they are disproportionately in the more blue collar jobs.  

• 1 month ago

i dunno call their customer service and ask 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I did 8 years,,  I smoked before I joined..  US Army 97-04,,

• 1 month ago

When you're being shot at, the risk of future cancer doesn't seem so threatening and it is a social activity that creates camaraderie. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.