Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 month ago

Is it really that bad if I smoke cigarettes?

I've only smoked a few cigarettes in my life and I find that it helps me ease my mind when I feel stressed. I enjoy the feeling of smoking cigarettes. I have been feeling the urge to light one up for days and I haven't done it because I feel like it'll be a bad habit... But is it really that bad? I feel like excessive drinking/pot is worse. 

I've heard so many smokers say, "I smoke because it calms me down when I'm stressed", but the reality is that they are feeling the "withdrawal symptoms" of that powerfully addictive element of tobacco "nicotine", after they get their dose they calm down.    

Actually there's nothing in the nicotine that relaxes you.  But it's because the cigarette companies have programmed us with their ads that it relaxes you that's why you think it does.  Nicotine is actually bad for you.  My sister who is a chain smoker died of cancer of the esophagus and sinuses because she inhaled the smoke.  That's how bad it can be.  So don't start something that might be bad for you in the long run.  Find something else to relax you like meditation, listening to good calming music, deep breathing, gardening, or brisk walking or exercising.  Those things will help you to relax but make you healthy too unlike smoking.

Yes. It's bad. Very bad. But it's a free country and cigarettes are legally sold. Not sure why you're asking, since you've already made up your mind.

• Sathi

Cigarettes killed my dad. Yes, they’re bad. When he was in hospice care, he told my mom that he wished he’d never smoked. That was his life’s biggest regret.

Besides the health risk, it’s an expensive habit. Another negative: everyone (especially nonsmokers) can smell the smoke in your clothing from ten feet away. You’re a walking ashtray.

Just stop smoking before addiction kicks in. Pretty simple.

Cigarettes can & will get addicting. My wife started smoking @ age 12. She smoked Pall Mall cigs. which are long & no filter. She died of double lung cancer @ 68yrs. old. After diagnosis of 6mo to one yr. to live she came home & continued to smoke for 2yrs. There was no hope so she just said I'm dying anyway so I'll continue to smoke. Terrible death not being able to breath. Sooo, I suggest you do not make it a regular thing. I never smoked cigs. but do smoke pot now & then to relax. I am now 85yrs  & 6mo. old so there must be something to that. smho

yes its really bad when you get lung cancer

and have to bid premature good bye

to your wife and kids in a hospital bed

• Jesere

Nothing bad about marijuana,  cigarettes will prematurely age one's face and increases your wrinkles 

• ?

Just about every life insurance application asks whether the applicant smokes.  But drinking and pot are worse, yes.

Yes. Its as bad as it gets.

Smoking a few is no big deal, but a daily lifelong habit of it is worse than smoking pot and it will eventually lead to a deadly health condition.