Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 week ago

Can you give examples of Bible contradictions that aren't taken out of context?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Nous
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

The bible is what is called "Faction” A fictional story set in a factual time and place. Thus the time, place and real historical characters are all correct but the fictional characters and stories are not!

There is not one single mention of Jesus in the entire Roman record - that is right - not one! At the same time as he was supposed to have been around there were a number of Jews claiming to be the messiah - all of whom are well recorded!

There is not a single contemporary record from any source and even the bible mentions of him like all other references were not written until many years after his supposed death!

He was supposed to have been a huge problem to the Romans and produced wonderful miracles but still not one contemporary record?

Even the bible mentions of him like all other references were not written until many years after his supposed death!

Pilate is recorded in the Roman record as a somewhat lack luster man but no mention of a Jesus, a trial or crucifixion that would surely have been used to make him look brighter!

At best he was an amalgam of those others but almost certainly never existed!

Not one word of it is contemporary with the period and was not written until several hundred years after the period the story is set in!! How did the apostles write their books more than a hundred years after they would have been dead?

Christianity is an invention of the Italians and that is why it came from the Holy ROMAN Catholic church!

Please realize that those claims for the Old historians are worthless since they were not even born until long after everyone in the stories would have been so long dead!

Josephus AD 37 – AD 100

Tacitus AD 56 – AD 120

Suetonius - 69 – 130 AD

Pliny the Younger, 61 AD – 112 AD

Justin Martyr (Saint Justin) AD103–165 AD

Lucian - AD 120 -180 AD but he was hostile to Christianity and openly mocked it.

Pamphilius AD 240-309 AD

Eusebius AD 263 – 339 AD

Photius AD 877 – 886 AD

Thallus - But there are no actual record of him except a fragment of writing which mentions the sack of Troy [109 BC] Showing that he was clearly not alive in biblical times.

Some even try to use Seneca. 4 BCE – 65 CE but as a Stoic Philosopher he opposed religion yet made not a single mention of a Jesus or Christianity!

Even funnier is trying to claim Celsus AD ? – 177 AD Who said that Jesus was a Jew who’se mother was a poor Jewish girl whose husband, who was a carpenter, drove her away because of her adultery with a Roman soldier named Panthera. She gave birth to an illegitimate child named Jesus. In Egypt, Jesus became learned in sorcery and upon his return presented himself as a god.

• 1 week ago

Ever try reading it?   Some of the stories are repeated with variations in the story.   Look at Genesis as a great example. 

• 1 week ago

One of the 613 commandements in the bible says: Thou shalt not kill. God killed every living thing on the planet but 9 people and some of the animals. 

• Dane
    Lv 4
    1 week ago

What about Psalms 40, the one who comes in the volume of the book. The Psalmist says Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, MY EARS YOU HAVE OPENED. The Book of Hebrews changes it to promote their Christology by changing the text to say Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME. This is also quoted in Acts by one of the disciples saying this section is about Jesus. But let us continue the section and read on. Verse 12. For innumerable evils compass me about, my iniquity has taken hold of me... They are more than the hairs of my head. Are Christians honestly saying that Jesus had iniquity? I thought he was a lamb without blemish. If this area is a prophecy of him as Acts and Hebrews says then it is saying that he had so much iniquity that it was more than the hairs of his head as the area clearly reads.  Yet we also read that Jesus had no sin in 2 Corinthians 5:21 and other areas.  We also read that Jesus did not honor his mother at times and broke the Sabbath which the breaking of the law would condemn him as a sinner.  He was baptized for the remission of sins by John the Baptist.  What sins was he baptized for then?  

Or what about Genesis 1 and 2 where we have differing orders of creation given in 1 we see the animals made before man, in 2 we see man made and he is lonely so God creates the animals and parades them in front of Adam but he finds no mate among them so God creates a women (as if God didn't know that Man did not want to mate with the other animals). We see in the Noachian flood myth that God shuts the door 7 days till the flood starts, it rains 40 days and night, then the water recedes for 150 days. This gives a time frame of 197 days total. Whereas we see a calendar date just under a year within the text, and another calendar date at just over a year in the next chapter. That is 3 totally different amounts of time that the flood lasted.  In Genesis 37 we see the brothers of Judah are going to sell him to the Ishmaelites, but then the Midianites sell him to the Ishmaelites, and the Ishmaelites brought Joseph to Egypt but then on the last verse the Midianites brought Joseph to Egypt. Who sold him?  Who brought him into Egypt? Clear contradictions here.  Or what mount did the laws get delivered on was it Sinai or Horeb? Or what did the Ten Commandments say?  The one everybody knows or the other one where we obey the Feast of weeks and are forbidden to boil a Kid (Goat) in his mother's milk? Or how do we prepare the Passover Feast By Roasting or Boiling? Or plenty of other things. These problems go on and on.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • User
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

There *are* some genuine contradictions in the Bible.

So far, none of the answers have presented one.

- Wine presented a genuine contradiction, but it's a contradiction of his interpretation of Luke 24 with Acts 1, as opposed to a contradiction between the words of Luke 24 and Acts 1. Nowhere does Luke 24 teach that Jesus ascended to Heaven on the day of his Resurrection.

I'll just list one of the genuine contradictions:

2Sa 24:13 - God, through Gad, offers David three choices of punishment for David's sin, one of which is seven years of famine

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2sa+2...

1Ch 21:11-12 - God, through Gad, offers David three choices of punishment for David's sin. **The very same sin**, not a different sin, not at a different time. One of the options is three years of famine.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1ch+2...

• 1 week ago

We studied them in seminary, much to the surprise of the students who viewed the Bible as "perfect" previously!  However, we also learned that NONE of them changed the overall story in any way.

E.g., there is one where Jesus and 2/3 apostles was entering/leaving a town, where a blind man with/without companions calls out, and Jesus heals him.  The important part of the story is the faith of the blind man, and the healing by Jesus, but, the details differ depending on the Gospel writer.  A contradiction?  Yes.  Does it matter?  No.

- Theologian

• 1 week ago

Jesus ascendd to heaven the same day he was resurrected in Luke 24

Jesus appeared to people for 40 days after the resurrection in Acts 1

Argghhh so many more but I am busy now.......

• Bryce
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

1. “…thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. ” — Exodus 21:23-25

“…ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” — Matthew 5:39

2. “This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.” — Genesis 17:10

“…if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.” — Galatians 5:2

3. “The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father…” — Ezekiel 18:20

“I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation…” — Exodus 20:5

4. “Honor thy father and thy mother…”– Exodus 20:12

“If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. ” — Luke 14:26

5. “Verily I [Jesus] say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. ” — Matthew 16:28

Jesus didn't show up.

Google "contradictions in the Bible" to find hundreds more.

https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/biblic...

• 1 week ago

1. There is not one bit of physical evidence for a global flood - no geological evidence, no mass extinction a few thousand years ago, no evidence that all life was wiped out and gradually repopulated from a single location.

2. You don't get striped goats by having your goats copulate in front of striped sticks.

3. Stars can’t hover over a spot on earth and accurately guide people to that place.

4. Earthquakes do not happen when an angry god shakes the earth.

5. The cure for leprosy is not rubbing birds’ blood all over a person.

6. You can't cure snakebite by gazing at a brass snake on a pole.

7. All species of life did not come into existence in a single week.

8. Rain does not happen when windows are opened in heaven.

9. It is not possible to stop the sun as it travels across the sky.

10. The earth is not a few thousand years old.

11. Rabbits do not chew their own cud.

12. There are no four-legged fouls.

13. People can't float to the sky.

14. Rabbits do not have hoofs.

15. Stars cannot fall to earth.

16. The Earth is not a circle.

17. Pi does not equal 3.

18. The earth is not flat.

19. Donkeys can't talk.

20. Bats are not birds.

21. Snakes can't talk.

Attachment image
  • No, because you people engage in mental gymnastics that make it sound like anything and everything is out of context. I can't show you anything when you've got your eyes shut.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.