How do I when is the best time to try become pregnant when I don’t have a consistent period? ?

My boyfriend and I are trying for a baby and from what I understand it’s best to have sex 5-7 day before your period for the best chances. But my periods HAVE NEVER been consistent. Any advice? 

Ovulation tests would be your best shot imo

Have sex every other day from the end of a period until your next period.  This way you are likely to hit your fertile period and keep your mans sperm healthy. Ovulation is typically about two weeks before your period but that is not a definite.  You can also try using ovulation predictor kits (OPK), tracking your basal body temperature (BBT) or checking your cervical mucus.  Do some more research on each of these to better understand your fertility.  Also there is only about a 30% chance of becoming pregnant each cycle so don't stress if it doesn't happen right away.

First of all, you have been VERY MISINFORMED if you think sex at 5 - 7 days before a period is your best chance.  That is the WORST possible time.

Ovulation happens ABOUT 14 days BEFORE the expected period and the egg only lives 12 to 24 hours.  That means at 7 days before a period, the egg has already been dead for at least 6 days.

The BEST way to become pregnant when you can't predict your periods would be to have sex once every three days anytime you are not actually bleeding because you are on your period.  Sperm can live for up to five days and wait for the egg.  

Also - start counting the NUMBER OF DAYS between your periods just to make sure you aren't tracking periods by the wrong method.  Some women watch the date on the calendar and then think they are inconsistent or irregular because their periods hit very random dates.  But this is normal since different months have different numbers of days and a woman's cycle can also have up to a five day variation and still be considered normal.  So - don't track by DATE on the calendar - track by the number of days from the first day of one period until the first day of the next period.  After a few months, if that number seems to be very close, then you have an average number of days to estimate (within a few days of accuracy) when the next period should arrive.

BTW - my cycles were SO irregular that my periods would be anything from 45 to 100 days apart.  I NEVER knew when to expect the next period.  I usually had 4 to 5 periods PER YEAR.  I have two daughters and never used any fertility program.  I never tracked anything.  We just had sex at least three different days per week and never did anything special.  (two children is what we wanted - so I don't know if I would have been able to get pregnant again or not - but I have no reason to believe that I couldn't have had another if we would have wanted three)

• J

Just have sex as much as possible and you can’t go wrong. You can actually buy ovulation test kits to see if you’re ovulating. If you don’t wanna do that, you can assume that you’re probably the most fertile starting about 2 weeks after you start your period. Since your cycle is irregular, just have sex every day. You should eventually get pregnant. 

• God

Have sex every two or three days.  You don't need to know when it happens.

• Sandy

aren't there ovulation kits to tell you when you're ovulating?