Endometriosis, fertility, marriage... help!?

Hi guys,

My fiancé and I just got engaged in June and we have been together for 5 years. We are both young and high school sweethearts (21 years) and are very happy and successful. About six months ago I found out I had severe endometriosis and had to undergo surgery to remove some of the tissue and an endometrioma that was the size of a grapefruit that was crowding my abdomen. Because of my endometriosis, I struggle with fertility. My fiancé and I know we want to have children, hopefully a couple. We recently just moved to California to have a fun life experience and we plan on having a large wedding back in our home state next July. But after having an appointment with my OBGYN today I feel very conflicted. She recommended that if I want to have kids that I should start trying now. That is the only way to determine if I am going to need help or not, but I bear the risk of getting pregnant, which wasn’t really on my agenda for at least a year. But of course I’d rather have a baby now than never but financially it would be hard to afford a large wedding and a new baby, and I just don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should just start trying because I have age and time on my side right now and it will be harder in the future, or if I just wait a year and have my wedding but bear the risk of struggling even harder to have kids.

I know this decision will ultimately be up to my fiancé and I, but I would really appreciate any outside opinions. 

Thank you all very much!

• John P

Even for a known medical condition, a year or so is not a long time to wait before trying to conceive a baby. If your general financial and social position as a couple will be better after a year, wait that year.

If you were both touching 40 the answer would be different, but you are young yet.

• LizB

I'd toss the birth control if I were you. If you're lucky and get pregnant sometime in the next few months, you can scale down the wedding. Just choose a flexible venue, or at least one that will return your deposit with X days notice.

Before they did your surgery, did you have a hysterosalpingogram to make sure your fallopian tubes are open? Endo can unfortunately sometimes cause scarring around your tubes that makes it impossible for natural conception to occur, and the only way around that is IVF.