Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 month ago

I star in The Glass Menagerie but I don't know my lines! Please help?

For four weeks now, I have been on stage portraying Amanda Wingfield in Tennessee Williams' acclaimed "The Glass Menagerie." Here's the problem: I haven't read the play yet and I don't know any of my lines. I come from an improv background, so I've skating by. Whenever I get stuck I just yell "I am a southern belle and a tragically flawed character!" which seems to work. My castmates are getting upset with me though. Should I try studying my part? It's so hard to get motivated, especially since I recently had 17 gentleman callers in a single afternoon, which is taking a lot of time to sort out.  

• John P

Not a really good attempt at a troll. Do you think that any director would allow that sort of mess up even in medium-period rehearsals? You would have been replaced by a person eager to play the part, and who had many of the lines under her belt even before she replaced you.

Have you ever been cast, even in a humble bit-part, in a play?

Yes read the play and study your lines, you do not have the right  to do improv and mess it up for  the others.

• Tina

Neither clever nor funny.

Don't give up your day job.

No one has been on any stage the last four months.

Wow. Tragically unfunny. Shame. Shame!

Humor fail. See, this kind of thing is supposed to actually be funny.