Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 month ago

I star in The Glass Menagerie but I don't know my lines! Please help?

For four weeks now, I have been on stage portraying Amanda Wingfield in Tennessee Williams' acclaimed "The Glass Menagerie." Here's the problem: I haven't read the play yet and I don't know any of my lines. I come from an improv background, so I've skating by. Whenever I get stuck I just yell "I am a southern belle and a tragically flawed character!" which seems to work. My castmates are getting upset with me though. Should I try studying my part? It's so hard to get motivated, especially since I recently had 17 gentleman callers in a single afternoon, which is taking a lot of time to sort out.  

7 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Not a really good attempt at a troll. Do you think that any director would allow that sort of mess up even in medium-period rehearsals? You would have been replaced by a person eager to play the part, and who had many of the lines under her belt even before she replaced you.

Have you ever been cast, even in a humble bit-part, in a play?

• 1 month ago

Yes read the play and study your lines, you do not have the right  to do improv and mess it up for  the others.

• Tina
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Neither clever nor funny.

• 1 month ago

Don't give up your day job.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No one has been on any stage the last four months.

• 1 month ago

Wow. Tragically unfunny. Shame. Shame!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Humor fail. See, this kind of thing is supposed to actually be funny.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.