muhammad asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

what should i check when i buy a new bike?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Tire pressure. If tires are flat it appears to be neglected atleast some point of assembly.

Straight parts (wheels, handlebars)

Tight parts (seat, handlebar, tires) 

Clean appearance

_____

Store service, return period. Usually 2-4 weeks. Manufacturers warranty. Up to a year. Some frames have lifetime warranty. 

• 1 month ago

Most important thing when you actually get on the bike is to make sure the brakes work.

• 1 month ago

Right off the top of my head, I'd say the warranty and return policy. 

Source(s): Motorized Bicycle Owner and Builder.
  • 1 month ago

It's unclear what you mean by 'check'.  Check for what?  If purchasing a bicycle from an authorized dealer (such as Raleigh, Trek, Fuji or Giant) then the bike shop will undoubtedly have sent you out for a test ride.  If you like it after comparing to a couple of other bikes, you buy it.  There's nothing to check.  It's been professionally assembled, checked & most times even double checked by a 2nd mechanic before you even walk in the shop.

On the other hand...if you buy some BSO (bicycle shaped object) at a discount store, everything needs to be checked.  They are not assembled by a trained or certified mechanic.  God knows who put it together.  Could've been some dude who was putting together bar-be-cue grills the week before.  I remember one particular Walmart store that outsourced bike assembly to day laborers & paid them $5.00 per bike.  Would you trust a bike put together by someone like that?  

From this news article dated December 2, 2014: Three out of four bikes bought from discount stores failed a basic safety inspection.  https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2014/12/02/store...  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That it's an actual bicycle.

If buying used agree to take it to bike shop to see which repairs are needed.

If buying from a department store. You still need a full tune-up done at an actual bike shop.

Cosmetic things = air in tires. Rust, scratches, dents...  What's your standards. First impressions is obvious. If it looks unkept just ignore, move on. 

Functional things = cable tension, shifting, drivetrain quality, brakes, wheels, tire. Assembly quality... Too many things (Bike shop estimate will be best) 

• 1 month ago

I trust you're referring to a bicycle & not a motorcycle.  I'd hate to think all these words are going to waste.  

1) No test ride before the sale means NO $ALE.  Yes...you can test ride bikes at a REAL bicycle shop.  You might have to leave collateral such as a drivers license or credit card.  But, you'll get it back.  

2) Number one should give you a clue where NOT to go...discount & big box stores like Walmart & Target.  Ever wonder why you can't test ride a bicycle from a discount store?  They're JUNK.  Assembled by some clueless minimum wage "associate" and NOT a certified bike mechanic.  Lowest grade frame materials - parts & components.  

3) Buy a bike based on "Where & How" you'll be riding.  In other words...DON'T buy a mountain bike if you won't be riding off road most of the time.  Conversely, don't get a bike meant for paved surfaces & expect it to go well off road.  Tell the salesperson what you NEED the bike to do.  

4) Do NOT get in a rush.  Don't buy the first piece of "eye candy" you see.  Compare at least 2 or 3 bikes from at least 2 bike shops if possible.  

5) Don't just shop for a bike.  Shop for a bike shop!  Which bike shop in your area has the best reputation.  Check reviews on websites like Yelp & Google maps.  Which bike shop answers all your questions honestly & doesn't treat you as a "newbie".  Hint: Bigger isn't always better.  Sometimes that small bike shop gives better & more personal service than a large bike shop.

6) Remember to save some money for the extras.  You should have enough money for a good helmet, an under-the-seat bag. a spare tube, a set of tire levers, a folding multi-purpose tool and a frame pump or CO2 cartridges.  You should also have a good home use floor pump.  If riding after dark or predawn - a set of good lights - both a damn good headlight & taillight!  Naturally, toss in a water bottle cage & bottle.  

7) Don't forget about the FREE "service warranty".  All REAL bike shops offer an after the sale service warranty good for a free tune-up / check up as the bike gets settled in.  Shift & brake cables stretch a bit requiring adjustments.  Spoke tension on the wheels is checked.  They'll go over the entire bike making sure everything is OK.  Discount stores DO NOT service what they sell. 

8) Bring at least $450 to $500 for an "entry level" hybrid or mountain bike.  $700 or more for road bikes.   

All the basics are laid out in this online article from Consumer Reports -  https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/bikes/buying-g... 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.