Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

How to get rid of rats in garage?

Our next door neighbors had a horrible rat problem. Ever since they moved away, we've been infested with rats in our garage. We have set traps and laid poison, but none of it is working. They have destroyed almost all the electrical lines and anything we had stored inside. We can't afford to call an exterminator, but any other advice to get rid of then would be greatly appreciated. 

• Cathy

Melania Trump hired an exterminator to get rid of the rats after Michelle Obama and his husband moved out.  

Source(s): Melania Trump

Been there done that.  Rats totally decimated the wiring in my Toyota.  And they'd leave poop on the engine block.  Ever smell poop when it got hot?  Not pleasant.

Anyway I hired a very expensive exterminator.  And after almost a year the house was rendered ratless.  I'll tell you what they did and you can do the same or similar without hiring an exterminator.

First they identified all the places where the rats can get into the house.  That included from the roof and through the attic, and from the basement through holes in the foundation.  Then they plugged those entry points with whatever made sense like cement for the foundation holes.

They also had me put a cement floor in my basement.  It was just ground but the rats burrowed under the foundation and came up through the ground based basement.  They left poop all over the basement that served as a major storage area for us.

Once all the entry points were plugged and the basement floor was cemented, the exterminator laid bait laden rat traps all over the house:  the garage, the attic, the basement, and some storage areas that our dog could not get into.  They were just plain old ordinary rat traps; nothing fancy.  Probably cost no more than $5 a piece.  But there must have been easily a dozen traps around the house at one time.  I have a 4300 square feet home so there was lots of places for rats to go.

They did not poison the rats as poisoned rats are eaten by owls and other predators and those predators then die of the poison too. We want the predators to live to eat the rats outside before they get into the house.  I would think you'd want that too.

The exterminator came back every other month for almost a year and rid the dead rats from the traps.  Initially they'd find two or three rats per visit, but that waned over time. Finally there were no more dead or alive rats and they were done. 

It's been years since the exterminator did their thing and nary a rat since.  It's a long and slow process, but it's a lasting one.  Good luck.

Ah one last thing.  My rats are called Norwegian Rats.  They are very smart and can find entry points into the house that you've probably never even thought of.  That's where the exterminator came in real handy...locating the entry points.

• L

You should have not bought traps and poison and just call an exterminator.

Vote GOP................

Spraying vinegar might help

Rat-proofing your garage may involve some money. If you can't afford an exterminator, you may not be able to afford the materials to do it. 

It will take sheet metal screwed to your foundation footers, and any other place the rats are getting in--sheet metal is about the ONLY thing they can't chew through. Removing any and all food sources is first, though. What are they eating in your garage? What's there that they want?  Find out. Traps and poisons are going to be pretty much all you can do until you find the food source and block up whatever entrances they have been using. 

• garry

offer them a payed holiday in new york , its a dump , so they will like it .or put peanut butter on the rat traps , they love peanut butter .

• SW-6

Peppermint oil - the smell is nothing mice want to get near but I have not had rats to try it on.  Since they sniff and smell just as much as mice I would bet that if you put larger cotton balls or strips of fabric with a good amount of the oil on them in the areas you see them, you will get the same result - they leave as they cant take that sharp smell.  Cheap and much safer than poison.  If nothing else your garage will smell great!  :)

• CB

I have never had anything but good luck with rat poison and getting rid of anything the rats could eat in the vicinity.

Try this site - they have some commercial product the are really good

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/rodents-ani...

Source(s): Not affiliated with do your own pest control just a satisfied customer

Get some cheap cans of deodorant or something with strong perfume and spray it everywhere and in every corner where they might run. They live by scent and  will hate it.