Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 1 month ago

Is the traditional Irish way of eating potato, peeled on the dinner plate while on the fork, still popular?

I am asking this on Yahoo in Europe so please do not answer if you're a Yank from thousands of miles away who does not know the answer and thinks you are funny

Some people still do that but they usually peel them on a side plate the size of a saucer

Champ is possibly the most  traditional way

No. Nowadays they eat raw potatoes out of the ground. All they farm is potatoes. I’m kidding. I ain’t stupid. Donno.

• denise

I've never heard of this?? Maybe it is?

• Alpha

Never heard of such Irish traditional way of a eating potato. I think someone was BS'ing you.

• kswck2

Nah. These days they just Nuke it and cover it with Irish Whiskey and butter. 

I doubt anyone eats potatoes like that - it's certainly not a “traditional Irish way” of eating them.

If potatoes are peeled then they’re peeled in the normal way - not on a dinner plate or while on a for - the'y be held in the hand and peeled with a knife or a potato peeler- they way people do, you know?

The they's be cooked.

I have never done that, so i'm not sure