Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 month ago

is it true that owning a motorcycle is cheaper than owning a car ?

Update:

I was thinking about just using a motorcycle for transportation and ditching the car 

44 Answers

Relevance
  • It depends on the motorbike,  but large bikes cost as much as a car and tyres wear out more quickly. 

A small bike would be cheaper to run.

• 1 month ago

Insurance will be higher, but gas, oil and maintenance will be less expensive. And if you can't drive it in the winter, you'll still need a car. 

• Jensen
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

IMO, it all depends on the motorcycle...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Well the monthly insurance is less than half of what you would pay for a car and the gas mileage is typically a lot better and it's easier to fix a motorcycle than a car so I would say yes

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

ABSOLUTELY!  However, if you have a family - you can't take them anywhere on it.

• 1 month ago

for safety a car is better, you can also drive during a lightening storm.

• 1 month ago

There are a few factors here but consider these thoughts:

1. I know lots of people who ride.  They love it.  But they are all of a common sort; they feel a certain way about life and view the world in a common frame; and maybe most importantly LOVE the feel of a bike and riding one.  More than one has said essentially the same thing, "glass gets in the way of life".  All of them also own two cars and two bikes and are husband/wife riders who drive their cars to work and ride on weekends and vacations.   SO... why do you want a bike?

2. My daughter is a Nurse (now a manager at the VA).  She has very clear opinions about donor-cycles as do most people in the medical professions.

I am not saying what you are thinking about is wrong, just pointing out that very few people successfully negotiate a life by motorcycle.

• 1 month ago

depends on the motorcycle... if it is a harley, you will grossly overpay for it, and spend a lot of money and time on maintenance.

• 1 month ago

Yes.  But the risks are far greater.   

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Problem is that you need both - unless you plan on driving in rotten weather,  not having room for multiple passenger or parcels,  getting wet - or getting killed.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.