Is private school worth it?

I like that private schools offer smaller class sizes and more individual attention. But a lot of the children in our neighborhood are going to public school, and I feel like if my child doesn’t she will be left out and may not be friends with them unless she went to the same school. Is private school worth it?

• Cu Tie

Yes, private school is worth it. Although it may take a while to adjust to the setting, your daughter will be better off for it in the long run.

My sister went to a private, all-girls high school in Pennsylvania, despite living in South Jersey. She struggled somewhat with this during her first 3 years of high school. Then, during her senior year of high school, my sister took 3 AP courses, worked during the weekends, got inducted to the National Honor Society, and scored a perfect 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam. In addition, she played her only year of football as a high school senior, as she made it on the junior varsity football team of the local public high school in South Jersey.

You're really asking different questions with different answers:

1. Yes, private school can be well worth the cost if that school provides a learning environment that is a better fit for your child's social or academic needs.

2. Many public schools are terrific. Some aren't. There are lots of options today including a variety of charter and magnet schools as well as private schools.

3. Students can make friends or be excluded from friend groups at any school.

4. Going to a private school will make it more difficult to make friends with neighborhood kids because the child will not be in class with them.

5. Nurturing friendships with kids who aren't in walking distance, as is the case with friends from a private school, requires more effort and planning but can absolutely be done.

6. Today, many kids make friends in sports or other activities as well as in class. 

Only you and your family can decide what is right for your child based on the quality of the local public school, your neighborhood, your values, and your other options. 

• J

I think you should ask your daughter what she wants. My parents sent me to private school for grades 2-5 and I hated it. I was absolutely miserable and came home crying a lot. I went to a Montessori school and they don’t really let kids be kids. I wasn’t exposed to a diverse group of kids either. It took me a little while to adjust to middle school. I remember my parents and me had a meeting with my teachers in the 5th grade. The teachers thought I should stay for middle school. I just remember being terrified and in tears. I had an extremely mean teacher that year too. Luckily, my parents didn’t make me go back the next year. The whole time I was there, I wished I could be at public school. You should find out what your daughter wants, because being with friends is important. It can be the difference between her being happy at school and being miserable. Don’t let your interest in some fancy, uppity, private school get in the way of your child actually fitting in and being happy. Academics aren’t everything. School is mostly about learning how to get along with others. 

• drip

Where do you live?  

I would think your child’s safety and education is more important than being friends with kids from the public school. 

I sent my son to a private school when he was young. I still knew the neighbors. We talked and our kids still played together after school. Plus he had friends from school that we could get together with. 

• Lili

I attended both public and private schools. When I was about to enter 7th grade, my family moved to a new city, so I entered junior high there.  My parents ended up not being satisfied with the curriculum, which they felt was too traditional and hide-bound, and they transferred me to a private school.  A couple of years later, they sent me to an elite prep school, a boarding school.

I should add that I attended both schools on financial aid. Private schools often have lot of aid to offer.  They are also often more diverse, since they draw on people from a wide area, not just a local neighborhood.

Not only were the classes at my schools small, offering much individual attention, but I was able to study sophisticated subjects never offered by standard high schools and to have academic and other experiences I would not otherwise have enjoyed.  The effect on my intellect -- on expanding and developing it -- was profound. I ended up attending Ivy League universities, at the second of which I earned a PhD.  I have no doubt that I would NOT have ended up at elite universities had it not been for my private school education, not if I'd applied from the public school available to me.

There are certainly downsides.  I didn't get to know anyone in our neighborhood, but I did get to know and socialize with people from all across our city.  Private school students can also be snobbish, but the day school I attended was both small and diverse enough that that snobbery was hard to indulge.  (Bullying was non-existent; bullies couldn't get away with it because they were under such scrutiny at a small school.)  And while the academic and many extracurricular offerings were amazing, sports opportunities were more limited. If that's important to you, a local private school might not be the best place for your child, though major boarding schools often have excellent athletic facilities.

In the end, I am grateful I attended private schools and really feel that friendships with neighborhood children are not a good reason to keep your child out of one if you think a private school would be academically superior.  Yes, your child might not be friends with the neighborhood children.  But why isn't being friends with the other children at the private school good enough? She can socialize with THEM, after all. I went to plenty of parties and other events when I was attending a private school.  I wasn't sitting at home, alone and friendless.