Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

My cat accidentally ate food 6 hours before her surgery, is it okay or do I need to cancel? ?

She took a bite of my food when I wasn’t looking 

If eatet Bread, Not problem

• Bec

Probably too late now but call your vet and ask.

The reason is that the animal can vomit under anesthestic and it goes back into the lungs and can be fatal.

So it's really important you are totally honest with the vet

My cat ate a couple pieces of food my dog had put on the floor. This was a couple hours before surgery and I chose to reschedule. Dont chance it.

You as YOUR SPECIFIC VET what his/her SPECIFIC POLICY IS, assuming you don't want your cat to choke to death on his vomit during surgery.

• Ocimom

Call the vet immediately and tell them how much and when - they will let you know if you need to reschedule.

Ask the vet. I'm pretty sure you need to cancel. If she has food in her stomach she could vomit while under anesthetic and aspirate it.  

rinfgvet and get advice

How does your cat "accidentally" eat?

Check with the vet.

Probably cancel.

It increases the risks of surgery and your cat could die.

• mokrie

Cancel. Even humans cannot eat before surgery. The anesthesia can make them throw up and choke to death while out of it.