If driving in flip flops is dangerous, then why do so many people do it?

I see everywhere on news articles about how dangerous it is to drive while wearing flip flops, yet so many people do it. Heck, even my mom does it and my mom always thinks she’s never wrong.

Why is that? Who do so many people drive in flip flops despite all the warnings about how dangerous it is?

• F

Because most people don’t appreciate that driving is the most dangerous thing 99% of us do in our daily lives.

So they don’t think about the dangers and when their flip flop gets caught under the brake and they can’t stop, they say “ who’d have thought it” ( unless they’re dead).

For the ones that don't think it's dangerous.

If a person has to hit the brakes hard to prevent an accident...There's a good chance the foot slips out of the flip-flop...foot going to the floor...flip-flop is catapulted into the rear seat by the brake pedal and then the driver, losing those few seconds of first reaction, has to re-brake and probably too late to prevent the accident.

THAT'S THE REASON.

Not wearing and mask and not keeping social distancing is dangerous too and yet people do it.    People do what they want to do and screw safety.   That is why the federal government MADE the car makers install all the safety stuff on cars and states pass seatbelt and helmet laws.  

They don't read the Fine print on Insurance Policies

I read one that said a driver must were enclosed shoes

the Most stupid thing I have ever seen is a woman Riding a Motorcycle in a Bikini

However, rule 297 of the Australian Road Rules 2008 provides that the driver must still take all precautions to drive in the safest manner possible. If your footwear compromises your ability to drive safely, then you are technically in breach of this law. In the event that an accident does occur, further investigations relating to whether or not the driver’s footwear (or lack thereof) played a role will take place. This can affect any insurance claims you’ve made and also whether you’ll be prosecuted by the police for your role in the accident. Guilty parties may end up paying a substantial fine along with the loss of demerit points. Depending on the severity of the accident, more serious penalties may apply.

Because it's not that dangerous, that's why.  There are literally hundreds of things that are more dangerous to do while driving.

You're obviously new to driving and traffic laws, because you've fallen for one of the classic myths.  Driving barefoot is stupid, but driving in flip flops (if they fit) is not a huge problem.  It's not even against the law where I live, and I live in a place with strict traffic laws.

Just so you know, here are some other motoring myths you'll hear (if you haven't already)...

- It's illegal to sneeze while driving.

- A cop needs some type of probable cause to initiate a traffic stop.

- There are ways to defeat a roadside breath test machine.

- Red vehicles cost more to insure.

- There are ways to defeat a radar gun.

- You need to change your oil every 3,000 miles / kms.

- Cell phones can cause an explosion at the gas pump.

... and yes, those are all myths.  Look 'em up if you don't believe me.

No, it isn't. I Have to wear a slipper on my left foot because of a knee brace. Automatic transaxle;; I have to rest L foot on pillow.  Only bad on a motorcycle; yes, Ive seen it. Guy had shorts on, too.

Work boots?   they are Safer on a motorcycle. Need a hard toe to properly shift. Only "dangerous" in a very small car with tiny  pedals too close together. like an '86 Tercel 5-speed.  I Know, I Tried to drive to class with my safety-toes on ! . Not on a '54 Chevy PU double-clutcher.

Cop Needs probable cause or reasonable suspicion to stop  anyone, anywhere. Or it can be profiling. Expired tags, broken taillight are   two usual. legal reasons. Truckers  jam radar with an  RV microwave oven on top of cab, doors taped open and interlocks  bypassed.

Maybe Australian policies specify: "No open toes". Not mine.

Seat belt laws are Federal.  2  states  have no lid law , 25  are none required over 21  (like AZ)..

Because a lot of people are simply stupid or ignorant of the potential consequences, or just don't care. 

• Scott

Frankly, I'm more concerned about drunk drivers, texting drivers, and idiots who run red lights. Flip flops aren't even on my radar.

The same reason people text and talk on their phones while driving...They don't care.

you're not wise. driving in flip flops is no big deal if they fit your feet properly. i ONLY drive in flip flops because I want to keep my car as clean as possible. I have a set of flip flops I keep in the drivers floor-area just for driving. I put my outdoor flip flops in a box as soon as I get in the car.

it's not dangerous at all. I've only been in 1 accident in my entire life and it was caused by another driver who was wearing shoes and was probably looking at his phone when he crashed into the back of someone.

some studies say that about 1/3 of people drive in flip flops. And i see why, they're a great choice of footwear. Crashes are usually caused by distracted drivers who are driving too close behind other people or not paying attention when they switch lanes. 

The only way I can see a flip flop being an issue is if you were ALREADY about to crash due to following too close behind someone, and then when you try to brake, a loose and flimsy flop might get caught under a pedal and increase the time it takes to brake. But that has more to do with following too close behind someone anyway.