Greg
Greg asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Does bad language in novels bother you?

• Lisa

Language used badly (i.e. imprecisely or without awareness) in novels really bothers me.  Profanity does not bother me if it is used appropriately.  How sad it would be for the world of literature if characters for whom profanity is natural could not be represented accurately in novels, not to mention short stories, poetry, or non-fiction.  

On the other hand, there is such a thing as the overuse of profanity.  No novel contains every action or every word that would be said during a specified time in a character's life.  The author must pick and choose in order to create an appropriate impression of that character in that world.  Generally speaking, a little profanity goes a long way.  It's like the use of the word "uh."  Once in a while, in dialogue is fine if it expresses something tangible.  Using it as frequently as people actually do in real life would be terribly boring in a novel.

I don't mind if it fits the context, but in all my published fiction I've used a naughty word just once (n-----), and it was absolutely demanded by the context.  Otherwise I've written around it, e.g. "He snarled a phrase better suited for a drunken sailor, and stalked away."

Not if they are appropriate to the situation in the story. 

• Marli

I don't like hearing or reading profanity, but if a person or fictional character must utter it, then it must be uttered. I can glance over the passage or ignore the words.

• JerryL

no only f word bothers me

It definitely catches me off guard but there hasn’t been anything too offensive.

• Zac Z

No. It doesn't bother me at all if it fits the character / narrative style of the story.

Now, I suppose you're asking about profanity. I do mind bad language such as uses of "should of" or "have saw", or if the foreword called "Forward". Stuff like this shouldn't see print.

• Lomax

It depends. It should only be used in spoken dialogue (the author should not swear directly at the reader), and should not be used to show how "edgy" the author is.

If, however, it fits the character and the situation, then I'm fine with it.

• Tina

Not really. Why?

As in offensive language, swearing etc.?

If it fits the character, time period, or whatever, it doesn't bother me.

• Speed

Not even a little. My writing is laced with it, and it's not "bad." It's how the narrator and the characters express themselves--and sometimes I do, too.

If a reader of books written for adults rules out the ones with so-called bad language, they're ruling out the majority of modern fiction, I imagine.

If it bothers a reader or their religion opposes it, they're free to read books without it, if they can find any worth reading.