Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Can addiction hit elderly people?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • ted
    Lv 5
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Yes, elderly people can be addicted to anything.  

• Jeremy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes, my father became addicted to a pain killer that he had on prescription from his doctor.  He assumed that taking 3 would make him better more quickly than if he followed the instructions on the label saying he should take 2.  He also became virtually addicted to a cough medicine which was being bought for him from our local pharmacy.  He became very ill and our family doctor asked mum "what is he taking besides what I prescribe"?  He was horrified at the concoction dad was taking and said "No wonder he is feeling ill". Strict instructions were given about not mixing medications and also about not buying 'over the counter' medicines without letting your doctor or pharmacy know just what you are already taking before buying o.t.c. meds.  It is a miracle that he lived to reach 75.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes but it is more likely to be addicted to a prescription drug than an illegal one for the elderly. We older folks are not tempted so much to the illegal stuff but can become hooked on the legal stuff given us by our own doctors.  Once we begin to be really looking forward to the next dose we should question "are we beginning to rely on this too much?" and have chat with our doctor.  My father became addicted to two prescription medications - one was a cough medicine and the other a strong pain killer.  He had to be weaned off them slowly and it was not easy for him, mum or the doctor.

• 1 month ago

Yes, it can. Several people have problems. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, even babies can be addicted

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Addiction can hit anyone; it doesn't discriminate.

• 1 month ago

yes, but usually at a much slower rate.

• 1 month ago

Maybe more so. We tend to be in a lot of pain, do to arthritis. So we often use narcotics. 

Source(s): Have pinched nerve and degenerate disc myself.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, it can happen to anyone no matter what their ages are.

• 1 month ago

Of course it can. Did you think that older people were immune somehow?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.