Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 month ago

How long should you keep the bandage on after blood test?

How long should you keep the bandage on after blood test? How long does the puncture take to heal? And can you get an infection after you take the bandage off?

When it stops bleeding. One is not going to get an infection by removing the bandage after the bleeding has stopped.  The puncture takes a few days to heal but after the clot forms nothing is getting in.  When an infection does develop it is from the needle being dirty or the needle pushing bacteria on the surface of the skin into the wound.  That is why a cotton swab of alcohol is applied to the area.

• RICK

I usually remove mine as soon as I get to my car

I've had many blood tests over the last few years and to be honest in most of them the plaster has come off somewhere on the way home with no adverse consequences.  In general within an hour the plaster has ended up n the bin..  Risk of infection is extremely low.

You can take it off the same day, I always do. If you want to be a hypochondriac about it then you can change the bandaid with neosporin until it's fully healed. Change it once a day or whenever it gets obviously dirty. You can get an infection on any type of wound no matter how large or small but the smaller, the less chance of an infection because there's less surface area for bacteria to access. That's why I rip mine off the same day. It's very unlikely for it to become infected and it heals quite fast given its such a tiny wound. Mine heals in about 3 days from the scab but my vein usually bruises which lasts awhile longer. Hope this helps. 

-- Most nurses will tell you to leave the plasters or bandage on for a half hour, at least.  I usually leave my plasters on for well over an hour.

--  The blood should stop within a minute, and two at the most.

--  A blood donor usually has one needle point and stops bleeding within two minutes. The nurse nay put one plaster on or also put a bandage on.  You can remove them about an hour later without problems.

--  As a dialysis patient, with two needle points in the arm, I leave both the plasters and bandages on for around 12 hours, as they put both on. With dialysis patients the bleeding takes between 2 minutes to up to 20 minutes to stop depending on how thin your blood is, and the location (the bottom needle point bleeds longer than the top needle point).

--  No, you will not get an infection.

The bandage is put on to catch any blood that might have come out as a result of the needle.  In almost all cases, there is no blood and the bandage can be removed right away.

i usually just take it off when i get home

Varies from person to person.

Should be kept in place until bleeding stops.

In my case that is about 30 seconds.

• Robin

20 minutes is fine 

"Bandage"?  The small plaster can be removed an hour or so after the test (I generally don't even bother having them put one on).  No, you cant get an infection from a needle hole.