Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 2 months ago

Can I get census records of my grandpa ?


Ohio and Michigan born 1945 died 2019

9 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    The Census Bureau releases individual records after 72 years, so records for the 1940 census and earlier are available, and 1950 will become available in two years, in 2022.  So you can get records for great grandparents now, but to read of your five year old grandfather you must wait two more years.

  • 1 month ago

    Of course you can

  • 1 month ago

    You can try too

  • 1 month ago

    Currently (2020), you cannot get U.S. federal census records only for 1790-1940, which was before he was born.  It's possible, but unlikely, that you might be able to records of a state census that included him.

    In 2022, you will be able to get 1950 U.S. federal census records, which should include him.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    The earliest Census records that are available is  the 1940 Census.   The 1950 US Census will be released in 2025, But you can check the Census website.

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    US has a 72yr rule for census, so no at this point in time the last census you can view is 1940, so you will have to wait until 2022 before the 1950 is released to the public

  • 2 months ago

    Not yet. According to the "72-Year Rule," the National Archives releases census records to the general public 72 years after Census Day. As a result, the 1940 records were released April 2, 2012. The 1950 census records will not be be released until April 2022

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    What country/state, etc?

    What year was your grandpa born? When did he die?For the US, census records with information on individual people are available from 1850 to 1940.Edited: Oops. The 1950 census will not be available until 2022. Your grandfather is not on any available census. Check back in 2 years.

  • 2 months ago

    you might be able to, ask the people in charge of the census

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.