Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheatre & Acting · 1 month ago

What are some reasons an actor wouldn't want to play a villain besides playing an evil role?

I see a lot of answers saying "You might get type-cast". Yes, you might. But so might any actor in ANY kind of role. It is not a risk specific to an actor playing "an evil role".

I actually prefer to play villains, at least more often than not.

If they’re written well, you can really sink your teeth into an interesting character.

If they’re not written well, at least you can ham it up.

But I can imagine getting type-cast would be annoying for an actor who wants to pursue other roles. Once you’ve gotten enough success to support yourself as an actor, I suppose that’s when you begin to focus more on what roles you really want to be playing.

I do recall an acting teacher mentioning one of his fellow actors getting an offer to play the role of a pedophile, which he found difficult because of the inherent evil in that role.

I think there might be cases where with roles like that, if you do too good of a job in it, you damage your “image” and get crap from people who can’t separate film from reality.

If you think that doesn’t happen, just look at one of the comments below regarding people harrassing Billy Dee Williams for Lando’s actions.

• John P

Maybe 'typecasting'?

• Cogito

There are many reasons why an actor might turn down any role but I can't imagine any intelligent actor turning down a role simply because the character was a 'villain'.

I suppose being afraid of being typecast could be a reason - but that happens very rarely.  Most actors - the vast majority - are only too happy to accept any well-written role in a good, well-directed production.

For most actors it’s more about the script and character development rather then some generic/stereotypical character type like the “hero” or the “villain”.  

There are several reasons why an actor would turn down a role:

- scheduling conflicts with another role

- insufficient pay/reimbursement

-bad script/poorly developed character

- the role is too small

- actor finds it morally objectionable (maybe the villain is a stereotype that they actor does not want to perpetuate like a black drug dealer or a Muslim terrorist)

- director/producer has a bad reputation 

- actor has played that type of role too many times before and wants to “branch out”

maybe he likes playing the evil role

Typecasting.

If you do too good of a job playing a villain, you will only get parts of villains going forward.

• Marli

I thought today's actors prefer playing villains because the are thought to be more interesting people.

• Rick

could 'type cast' them, people will forever see them as a villain ..........