Do motorcycle’s with higher CC’s cost more to insure?

I am looking at two motorcycles, a 2006 Kawasaki ZZR 600, so it is 600cc, and a 2014 ninja 300, 300cc. I am not sure what type of bike I want to get since they are pretty different in size. But does it cost a lot more to insure for a brand new rider if the bike is a larger size? I would think so, just wasn’t sure. 

Also, do you think it’s a bad idea to get an old bike? The 2006 bike I listed before has 23k miles on it. 

Age, gender, experience, married or not, ZIP

Code.

Not displacement.

That's for the basics, such as liability and medical.

Collision and comprehensive add more factors (and costs).

You really must talk to an agent for clearer answers (or a quote).

Source(s): Still on the same policy I started in 2006. The cost was the same when quoting my '79 CB750 and my '06 HD FXD35.

Go for the lower 300cc.  Insurance is going to cost you a LOT as you are a new rider!

• Mr.357

Your insurance company would be the only one that could answer that correctly.  I would think motorcycles would be like automobiles, design has more to do with it than engine size.

• Fred

I am way in excess of physical size, weight, and age to comfortably ride a smaller displacement sport bike.

Despite the answers of other, insurance will vary by your age, location, type of motorbike, and displacement size.

... And then there are sport bikes!   The one thing I can positively tell you insurance on a liter sport bike does not decrease by rider age nor age of sport bike.

There is a reason I can tell you this!!! 

See your local insurance agent. I can't tell you where insurance goes astronomical on a lesser displacement motorbike, but on a liter sport bike... insurance levels stay the same regardless of  age of bike and rider, AND IT BITES DEEP!!!

2006 isn't "old". 1983 is getting there.I met a guy who still rode a bobbed '52  Indian Chief, 80". every day. A guy who worked at the Harley shop used to ride a '38 ULH every day, too. 

Insurance is based on previous claims on particular models, as well as age, credit rating, zip code etc. "Age" of bike is only a consideration with comprehensive; not minimum coverage.  Didnt cost me "a lot" even as new rider at 24.

My 650 cc Honda  cost more than my  1440cc Harley  to insure .Most beginners fall on their first bikes, 250-440 cc. .Many GBH claims from Ninjas, 250-650cc and YZF-R3s...  Few claims are made from 1800cc Gold Wing riders. Understand?

My ins did not  ask displacement, just model.  This number  is often part of the model  .Or a certain model and year will have a specific displacement, unless modded..

Nothing Wrong with a 600 Per Se. . My first motorcycle was a '68 Triumph 650. it isn't displacement, it's  weight and horsepower. The Triumph had no surprises and handled well.

Insurance is calculated on risk(s).

Age and experience of a rider is one risk.

Number of accidents incurred on a particular model in the area the rider lives.

Number of thefts incurred by owners of a particular model in the area the rider lives.

It is not as simple as engine size.

But yes it probably will be considerably higher for a ZZR 600.

And they just ain't intended for novice riders.

You should not be riding a 600cc for your first bike. First of all because you're probably going to crash it anyway or drop it. 2nd of all because if you make any mistake on it, the bike will fly out from underneath you. On a 300cc if you use a little too much throttle nothing will happen, on a 600 if you use too much throttle either on accident or on purpose, or shift into the wrong gear, it can easily fly out from underneath you and then there goes your entire investment. You might even get seriously hurt or killed if you do this in traffic or slam into a tree or guardrail or something.

For your first bike get a used 300cc, put a crash cage on it, take it to a track and learn how to corner. You're going to slide it a few times but at least you'll learn what you can and can not do, while also increasing your skill level. After a year or two then you can probably handle a 600 but you should still put a crash cage or frame sliders on that for the same reason.

Compare apples to apples - in this case the same year then the big bike costs more.

. A difference in years matters as the 2006 bike may be worth less than the 2014 bike and that matters to insurance (maybe) or you still may get nailed because it is over 500cc

. only Insurance can tell you that for sure.

• adam

I think the model has something to do with it as well as the riders age. A single white male 25 years old and younger is the highest rate. [so much for white privelidge right? I know my friends had problems getting insurance years back for gixxers. Displacement should effect price as well since they always ask about that. 

The insurance is based on three main things.   1.  Age of the rider.  2.  Number of cc in the engine.   3.  Basic design of the bike.   (Pocket rocket vs street racer vs dirt bike vs highway cruiser vs etc)     The insurance may go down with an older bike too but not by much.   If this is your first bike then I would get one under 900 cc and one designed for adventure touring.