would using a random number generator improve my chances of winning the lottery ?
rather than using the numbers on fortune cookies or horroscopes
- Jeffrey KLv 71 month ago
No. Lottery numbers are random. No method of picking numbers is better than any other.
- 1 month ago
Mathematically speaking, no.
- Jay PLv 71 month ago
Nope, each set of numbers has an equal chance of being drawn.
But having randomly generated numbers ( as opposed to a sequential order, or multiples of 7, or all numbers below 31 ( generated by using calendar dates ), etc ) decreases the chances that other players have played the same numbers so on the off-chance you actually do hit the jackpot, the prize isn't split among many other players.
- 1 month ago
no, there is no algorithm or process that can improve your chances of winning. Otherwise the lottery would be illegal.
However, that does not mean all numbers are equal.
70% of all players do quick-picks. Thus 70% of all tickets are randomly generated numbers. The other 30% of people pick their own numbers. Of this 30%, most of them are using some combination of dates to build their tickets. This means a large % of all tickets do not contain a number > 31 and almost all tickets contain at least one number < 31. Thus since all number combinations are equally likely to win, you should only play a ticket where all numbers are > 31. This way should you win you have a far higher likelihood of keeping the entire jackpot for yourself, rather than having to split it with one or two or more other winners.
In addition to this, some lotteries have weaknesses that can be exploited if you have the jewels to exploit the weakness. Read up on the internet about lottery winner histories over the last decade and you will find some examples.
Once again we see how life is all about behavior of people, not use of technology.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Jedi JanLv 71 month ago
The odds are the same no matter what novelty ideas you may use to select your random numbers.
- zman492Lv 71 month ago
The method you use to pick lottery numbers in no way increases or decreases your chances of winning.
While the above statement is true, there is a theoretical advantage in picking in picking numbers other people will not have chosen in the extraordinarily unlikely event that you do win. If more than one person picks the winning numbers the jackpot is split between the people who have chosen the winning numbers.
There are two instances I know about there that has made a difference. In one case numbers that people saw on a fortune cookie came out. Since the same numbers were on multiple fortune cookies the jackpot was split several ways. In the other instance the winning numbers were 7, 14, 21, 28 and 35 (all multiples on 7) and the jackpot was split several ways.
Also since a lot of people use birthdays to pick numbers it is better to have at least a couple of numbers over 31.
Given how unlikely you are to win the jackpot, I really would not worry about which numbers you pick.
- Anonymous1 month ago
I would think using the same numbers each time would be a more effective strategy.
- Ender772Lv 71 month ago
thats how they generate every ticket !!!.....
- GuberLv 51 month ago
How about reading tea leaves? Then, after you're through picking your lotto numbers, you can make tea!