is this really true?

my mom said that if a bathmat is not replaced often, a person can fall through the bathtub. is that true?

Update:

I try telling her it can’t be true but she insists it is 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

A bath mat does help prevent slipping. They need to be cleaned and dried though because they do get moldy otherwise.

• 1 month ago

It's best to replace your bathmath quite often, but you won't fall through the bathtup! 

• Jan C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your mat needs to be hung to dry after every use.  It will be nasty and mold if you leave it lay. 

• 1 month ago

Your mom is on one lol no that's not true. If you leave a bath mat for years, it will likely rust the bathtub depending on what the tub is made of, so it can eventually rot the bottom of the tub but it would take decades, if not a century or more for it to completely rot out the bottom of the tub enough to break it. Even then, you have a floor underneath the bath tub so you're not falling to your death. Some bathtubs may never rust or decay either, in a lifetime anyways, depending on their integrity. 

My grandma had an old bath mat in the tub we still use, she didn't clean it often...or ever as far as I know, so it did rust the tub a bit but its only surface level staining on a porcelain tub. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes this is true.

• 1 month ago

Your mother has some adorable notions.

• 1 month ago

If your Mom told you, it must be true.  Good Moms  don't lie to their children.

• 1 month ago

They may slip in the tub but they're not going to go through it.

• Audrey
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No. That's ridiculous. It needs to be replaced once in a while due to mold, but that's all!

• 1 month ago

Absolutely. Never doubt your mother. Doing a header into (and through !!) the bathtub because of an old bathmat is no fun.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.